Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

happy new years, all.   i hope the year brings much happiness, peace and good health.  a few more days fishing would also be a blessing,

i received a new rod for Christmas, a st. croix premier lite power rod.  i've been looking for this specific rod for years and refused to order it, rather waiting until i could find one and handle it up front.  somehow my wife found one and for now, my quiver is full.

i need a new reel for this rod.  i would like to spend 70 to 100 dollars for the reel, no more.  i use mostly shimano sahara and symetre reels but the stem of the reel, going from reel seat to reel body has been shortened again and if wearing light gloves in cold weather, the bail strikes the glove.  

can anyone suggest possibly another line?  i see were daiwa reels have bigger spools but other than some linecounter reels that i once owned, i have no experience with them.  

i am looking for something in the 10 series,  no bigger, no smaller.  i have no use for a stradic as i don't think i need to break the bank for pannies..  beyond that, i am open to suggestions and would really appreciate them.

thank you much.

Views: 330

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Rich;; a pluger president; is a excellent reel; very smooth;  several guys here swear by them.  If you could find one; ( quantum ; q-vex 10)  they stopped making them))  is another very excellent reel-   bet you will get a lot of answers to this question; LOL !!  the president; as well as the q-vex reels;; in my opinion; better reels than the shimano s

thanks for the input, carl.  i appreciate it.

your more than welcome  rich;; hope you get a good reel !   the president type; is also a good one to use with brais line ( altho I dont use it )  will handle light lines; really well

Welcome aboard Rich!

I just swapped out my line of UL s reels in favor of the Shimano Sienna series of the 50 size. I love em. I also find them spacious. I only paid 30.00 for this model.

Wat type of Line and lb. test you have on there?

4# Berkley Nanofil on a 24" UL Berkley ice rod...

itll be the first time trying Nanofil under the ice.

any other ideas?   does penn make a lower level reel that is good?

rich;; just for thought;; if there is a bass pro shop; academy sports; or some  kind of good tackle shop close to you;;  then go to the reel section; check each one out; in the type and size you like. some reels;; even if theyre the same model; seem to work ; smoother better; than another one of the same model.   a st. croix rod is a great rod;; deserves a great reel...   also;; depending on  the type of line your going to use on it !  braid?? mono ??  2 pound test ? 4 pound ??   take the time ; now; to study; listen to advise from everybody;; look around a lot !  daiwai; shiamno; quantum; pfluger; abugracia  all make great reels;;; bottom line;; its your desicion ..

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
18 hours ago
John Sheehan posted photos
21 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's status
"An Instrumental Guitar recording of mine to commemorate. …"
Sunday
John Sheehan posted a status
"Trout Season opens April 6th in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for stocking."
Sunday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Plastic Worm varieties in the group Lure History
"My favorites through the Years: Manns Jelly Worm, Manns Auger tail, Charlie Brewers 4" on a…"
Sunday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Plastic Worm varieties in the group Lure History
Sunday
Sunday
Troy Dorman commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

"Thank you, Jeffrey!"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service