Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Has anyone ever had success using these transparent bubbles with tiny crankbaits or spinners such as roostertails to add distance to your cast when primarily fishing from a dock or bank)?

Views: 1737

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It is a common method of fishing here in California... especially in the Spring and Summer months. We don't use the spinners as much but we have good success with various types of Flies. The fish aren't usually very big but on a slow day it can make the difference between 'Skunking' or not.

Rob
Went crappie fishing April 1 and The casting bubble saved the day. My leader was 20 inches of 6 lb flouro with 1 bb splitshot 4 inches above a #8 gold aberdeen hook, tipped with crappie minnows or baby shiners. Casting very near the bank--upper end of reservoir where the channel swings next to a steep bank, flat out produced. A 100 fish day for my partner and myself. I won't mention the 1 to 1.5lb crappie, but what I want to mention is that a half dozen warmouth and 8 bluegill of 7 to 8 inches,(about as large as the system contains) came into my boat because they ate minnows. Anybody else catch many gills with minnows? Anyway just another example why this simple overlooked method should be in your bag of tricks.
I use then to throw my rubber spiders for gills. They work really good if your using spinning rods to fish for gills with the rubber spider you get much more distance and can cast that rubber spider. Hope this will catch your interest it doe's work quit nice.
I like the idea of using spinners or small jigs. I have some ultralight spinners in the 1/20th ounce range that might be just the ticket.

RSS

Latest Activity

Jeffrey D. Abney posted photos
3 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Thumbnail

Crappie …..Whole and Filet…..7/3/2022

"Caught yesterday….cooked today……..taste great!"
4 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney posted a photo

Crappie …..Whole and Filet…..7/3/2022

I’ve been married almost 36 years, one of the things that makes my wife happy…..whole fish and…
4 hours ago
11 hours ago

Bluegill X Pumpkinseed Cross…….7/2/2022

Pumpkingill…….body of a bluegill with the mottling in the cheeks but it’s not turquoise on the…
yesterday

Fresh Local White Shrimp……7/2/2022

Butterflied, dusted with corn flour and flash fried in peanut oil……served on a bed of romaine with…
yesterday

Crappie Against the Marsh Backdrop…..7/2/2022

Chartreuse jigs tipped with a live minnow…
yesterday
yesterday
yesterday
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted a status
"Woke up to Tropical Storm Colin turning off the upper South Carolina coast…..by mid morning we had the first feeder band with 30 Crappie"
yesterday
Thumbnail

Beautiful Ten Inch Class Coppernose….6/30/2022

"Thanks Troy…….have a great weekend!"
Friday
Troy Dorman commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Friday
Friday
Thumbnail

Pretty Banded Coppernose With Grape in His Face….6/30;2022

"Yes sir…..the fire is going down into the peat moss which means it’s burning under…"
Friday

Guardian Mallard Hen Getting Between the Boat and Her Nine Ducklings….6/30/2022

She would have flown anytime before but not with her little ones…
Friday
Mikey-D commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Thumbnail

Pretty Banded Coppernose With Grape in His Face….6/30;2022

"You are one gill catching dude those are awesome pretty fish are you battling that smoke as well as…"
Friday
Friday
Friday
Friday

© 2022   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service