Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

For those of you inclined towards boats with 2-stroke, internal-combustion outboard motors,
I can highly recommend the following...

"The Complete Guide To Outbard Engines," by John Fleming
ISBN 1-892216-31-0

In what seems an odd twist, he makes a great case for the 2-stroke engine. I know we're all taught to be eco-green warriors, and that only 4-strokes measure up anymore.
But he draws a comparison between the two that actually FAVORS the MODERN, 2-stroke in terms of efficiency, fuel economy and emissions parity.

There are several distinct dis-advantages to 4-strokes, in fact, which he points out. All very fascinating to my techno-gadgetry mind.

I suggest you get this book if you own a 2-stroke outboard, expect to, or are simply interested in boaty, motory things.

Views: 242

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

just me personally i couldn't wait to upgrade to a four stroker... for one 2-cycles were so messy on the water or environment. i hated to mix oil and gas... i love the fuel economy on the 4 stroke.

currently I'm shopping for an electric start 15hp two cycle isn't even available. is the author only talking older motors?

Essentially yes because the book is 15 years old.
Now if you hang around boat ramps, much, you still see a lot of older 2-strokes.
It's for those people I posted this.

The low end market is being overtaken by the 4 strokes, as you note, for a simple reason: it's impractical to include the technology that makes 2-strokes as good as they can be, in the under 50 up mills.
In the future I expect the only place you'll see 2-strikes is in the 150hp and up, high performance market.
The book is also a huge boon to the motorheads understanding of the subtleties of the 2-stroke outboard's operation.
They came first, of course, and the 4-stroke outboard owes much to the principles and practices established in 2-strokes.
I know I was ignorant to much of this until I got into this book. But I grasp more about the workings of BOTH types, now, than I ever suspected was there.
I love engines of all kinds, and I'm gaining a new appreciation for the outboard in this experience.

i really miss my 1968 Mercury 9.8hp... it used to go thru a water pump a season... after awhile they quit stocking parts for them so i had to shelve the motor

RSS

Latest Activity

Jeffrey D. Abney commented on tracy willis's photo
Thumbnail

nice pan of gills

"Nice mixed bag…..enjoy the fry!"
11 hours ago
tracy willis posted a photo

nice pan of gills

eater size gills and shellcrackers. fairly easy to catch a mess since they nest raiding bass and…
13 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

Flying carpenter ant

"Very generous offer Dick!"
yesterday
Thumbnail

Flying carpenter ant

"I believe sinking Dick. "
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

Flying carpenter ant

"I made a couple up for you. Do you have sinking or floating ants John?"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's group Lure History
"Great tip for the Tiny Torpedo I've not tried on my go to Smallmouth Bass topwater Bait.…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's group Lure History
"Us old timers /old schoolers can relate.  Bass Week: Top 5 Old-School Lures that Still…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

Flying carpenter ant

"Great work Dick!"
yesterday
dick tabbert posted a photo

Flying carpenter ant

#6 curved shank hook
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted a photo

Osprey Taking Flight…..4/14/2024

See dozens of these raptors every time you fish on the Albemarle….
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted photos
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted photos
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted a status
"Got out behind five days in a row of high wind warnings….washing machine effect on our creeks but grinded out a mess…mix of crappie & bass"
yesterday
Thumbnail

spawn is on

"Go get ‘em Tracy……fill up your stringer……."
Saturday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

Black Beetle

"Thank you Jeffrey. Working on tying some different flies."
Saturday
tracy willis commented on tracy willis's photo
Thumbnail

spawn is on

"thanks Jeff.  theyve colored up this week.  need to get back further in another creek to…"
Saturday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

Black Beetle

"Very nice craftsmanship Dick!"
Saturday
Thumbnail

spawn is on

"White crappie on the board!, good work Tracy….."
Saturday
tracy willis posted photos