Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

With pending bad weather  for the Maryland early next week I took an opportunity to try my luck on Unicorn Lake. Launched the buggy and got under weigh just after 3:00 PM and went until Dark. Score for today was 3 Yellow Perch all around 10"-12", one 12"+ Crappie, 1 micro Bass, 1 12" Pike and about a dozen or so gills with two of them very nice ( one under 9" and one 9 1/2").

It took awhile to find them as I was just picking a fish here and there. Then just before sunset I dialed them in.

Since I haven't been out much lately I haven't posted in awhile. Sure was good to get some pullage! I forgot to re-set the date on my camera.

Views: 319

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nice report Ron...glad you got out for a little while!

You got some quality fish there Ron! My dad fished at Unicorn the year before he passed away and he and my brother nailed big gills there. That is an under estimated public lake that holds good fish. Congrats!

looks like a pack of 1" Gulp minnows in that crappie picture; is that what you caught all these fish on? if so, how'd you rig them? i've caught tons of fish on those things; thanks and nice fish and good luck next time

Nice catch Ron! Looks like a pretty good day!

NICE PICS RON and looks like you had a fine outing!!!!!!!! 

Oh yea looks like a good time to me.

It was a good afternoon. I have been fishing a little in the saltwater, so it was good to hit a local lake.

Jason, I use the Gulp Alive 1" minnows almost exclusively. I rig them on a 1/32 or 1/64 oz. jig head. I suspend it under a foam torpedo bobber, cast it out, let it settle and then pop it back to the boat in short hatd jerks. They can't resist it.

"Pull-age" - oh, yeah!

Nice little commentary, Ron. I especially like the description of your methods with the 1" Gulp! minnow. To date, I've had dismal luck with them. Actually, dismal might be too generous a description.

But, I'm willing to try anything. I see what looks like chartreuse baits there - is that right? And do you care to elaborate on the sort of structure you fish them around?

It was a pack of Chartruese. I also like the colo Emerald Shiner. I usually fish around allot of downe trees and under overhanging trees. Is is important to move the bait in a jerking manner and stop frequently so that the bait slowly sinks. That's also why I use the lightweight jigheads (slow sinking).

My best slug of fish on this trip happened just after sunset. There was alrge mat of leaves and debris that had accumulated near the middle of the lake. It was 3 distinct matts about 12' long. I worked around those mats and caught about 14 or 15 fish. Most of them were dinks, but both large gills and 2 yellow perch came from there. On my 4' micro lite rod/reel it was a blast. The two gills actuall pulled my boat.

those Gulp minnows under a cork work great; i've caught fish in open water or around structure with them; if it swims it will eat a 1"Gulp minnow; the smelt color works great too along with the crickets

Jason,

I've been tempted by the Gulp Alive Crickets, but haven't tried them. Do you have a particular color that you prefer?

color blindness henders me here, i get the "Green or Brown" ones; they work great

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
8 hours ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
8 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
8 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
8 hours ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
8 hours ago
8 hours ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
yesterday
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
Tuesday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service