Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Novice bluegill fisherman...What are some the best rigs?...What are the best baits?

I'm bluegill fishing novice and was wondering if anyone has ever used crickets. If so what are some good rigs for crickets? With that said i've used corn before didn't have much luck...with that said what are some good rigs for corn. Please any info about catching bluegill would be gladly apperciated.

Views: 184

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

See the discussions threads.....tons of great stuff....live bait/spoons/flies/jigs....the entire gamut......explore and enjoy!
I use corn to target carp at Standing Bear. When I want to target gills, small hooks, bobbers, and night crawlers. I also use a jointed shad-rap deep diver after the spawn. Brings males off the nest like you wont beleive!
Corn is the way to go, and if that's not working, just try some ol'worms they work great. Just throw a hook and bobber and a little slip knot weight near the hook. That will catch you some gills every single time
Hi 96dodge as Bill "Musky" Mod said... read through the forums and enjoy ! Lots of info from lots of good guys that don't mind sharing.
To answer one of your questions. I fish crickets a lot. If the fish are really picky I'll use them on a thin wire hook... and try and present them as naturally as possible. As a rule though, I tip one of my Home Made jigs with one. They are an excellent bait and have accounted for a lot of Bull Bluegills. When you purchase them make sure to get yourself a cricket basket . Place a couple of carrots inside the basket, this will keep your crickets alive and well and hydrated and fat. If you fish from a float tube... a little trick I use is to float a styrofoam box beside my tube... tied with apiece of string of course... this is where I keep the bait... crickets, worms, meal worms etc... it'll help keep them cool when it's hot and also dry. surprisingly it doesn't get in the way and gives you much more room in your tube for other stuff...

Once you decide whether or not crickets will work for you, you can order them online or from specialty bait stores by the thousand. I get mine 5,000 at a time and keep them in an old fish aquarium, with some empty toilet roll tubes, old egg cartons and plenty of carrots. I can keep em for weeks like this and it works out to be much cheaper. Also I can grab a basket full when I have a couple of hours and don't have to worry about the bait store being out of them. I think you will find crickets to be the "Ace in your hole"..... fishing hole that is...
A piece of advice for you... Anyone can catch bluegills when they are aggressive ... but it takes a dedicated, patient, angler to catch Big Bull Bluegills on a consistent basis. Use light lines (2 to 4 Lb Test) and small hooks 10's or 8's. Be Q U I E T ... fishing is like hunting only worse... sound travels through water much faster than it travels through air... Those Bull Gills didn't get big by being stupid... if you follow the advice of the other gentlemen and Ladies here you will be in for a good time.

I've said it before I'll say it again... I've never met a Bluegill I didn't like... or a Bluegill fisherman for that matter...
Good fishing and Tight lines... Welcome to the best forum around...

Rob...
Last season I showed my 3 yr old grandson a little homemade "secret" lure that allowed him to fish corn kernals in the most effective fashion I've ever seen. Little Draes was able to instantly get as many 'gills as he wanted ,until tired (not long!!!). To make one, simply cut a small rectangle from the soft,ultra thin metal of a soda pop can. Fold the "tin" over a no. 8 or 10 hook, crimp at the top with pliers, then cut the hanging bottom into a semi circle. This half moon shape looks like a tiny 1/2" minnow fry and flutters below a float with extreme slowness of descent and flash (pick colorful pop cans!). Tipped with a single corn kernal (or waxworm or tiny worm section), this insignificant sliver of metal is literally irresistable to bluegill!

RSS

Latest Activity

Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
1 minute ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
2 minutes ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
2 minutes ago
3 minutes ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
18 hours ago
John Sheehan posted photos
21 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's status
"An Instrumental Guitar recording of mine to commemorate. …"
Sunday
John Sheehan posted a status
"Trout Season opens April 6th in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for stocking."
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service