Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

It seems that here in Southern Illinois the gills are small. There are lots of them, just no size. Do I need change my fishing to get to the big ones? Or is it just So. Il?

Views: 313

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Pa is the same alot of little gills but you have to fish deeper and find the areas not fished as hard. This year i fished areas that most people ignore or cant get to from shore ,i used my float tube to get to these places and it paid off with some very large bluegills. The ponds here are usually not fished hard and that means stunted fish (more fish than the ponds can support with no predators to keep them in check. Their are large fish out there but you have to work for them  Good Luck
We went to a visit my wife's grandfather in PA and there was this pond across the street from his house. The pond had some of the biggest gills that I have ever caught. I do a lot of creek fishing here in Maryland and most of the gills in them are small also. Every now and then we will hook into a big one. My point is that I think most of the bigger ones are in well kept ponds. The man who owned the pond was very selective about who he let fish there plus he took really good care of it.
Thanks for the info guys. I am not having any trouble locating or catching fish, just all small.

Try a hellgrammite plastic bait on a jighead with a red hook. Very deadly bait for the bigger sunnys. Works great for large and small mouth bass to. They are hard to find. I know Bass Pro Shops has them. Awesome bait...

Dan,

I will give them a try. MisterTwister sells them. What size jig and hook are you using?

I think they are 1/16 oz, you can also rig them on a hook with a splitshot up the line about 12" or so which keeps them off bottom. I like throwing them in the deeper holes of the creek and let the current do the work and feel for the bumps on the line. I finally found them last night at Dicks Sporting Goods. They came pre rigged with a red hook. 1.99 for two of them, a little more than I remembered them being. Well good luck with them I hope you catch lots of big fish...
last time i went fishing i cought a nice 7 incher and i ate it.it wasent good,but it was better than the fish at the market
Location, location, location is the answer Dwayne. Keep looking and using the right kind of bait, lure or fly will find  them. Unless you are fishing in over fished water, the fish will be there.
Steve, lots of lakes around here, but most of them are fished pretty hard.
Agree with Steve it's all about location. Fish lakes that are heavily fished, known for "dinks" and still catch very nice to large 'gills on them. The Big Boys act more like Crappies than their smaller brothers in my area, most don't know, won't consider/listen and/or even want to try to understand it. They'll suspend, eat minnows, big nymphs, leeches and not go anywhere near the little ones and everyone else chasing them. Smaller fish bed in 2'- 6' of water here the bulls in 12', should tell people something. The big ones are behind their anchored boat, looking for food, willing to eat, and they keep casting towards shore........please keep doing it I'm having way to much fun out there all by myself

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
12 minutes ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
13 minutes ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
35 minutes ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
36 minutes ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
36 minutes ago
37 minutes ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
19 hours ago
John Sheehan posted photos
22 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service