Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Learned something new... you all probably know about it already

Not that I expect anyone to know this, but I wasn't taught how to fish per se.  Most things I have to figure out for myself or thanks to the internet, learn on youtube :).  

I was out on the lake the other day and noticed all the fish were suspended off of the bottom, but I was struggling to stay in their zone.  They were in 10-11' of water so I didn't want to slip float that deep (probably could have) so I ended up just jigging.  Caught a few fish, but felt like there was untapped potential.  So I came home and started to do some research.

End of story... I now know about drop shotting.  I'm not a fan of the palomar knot, but I'm getting better at it.  Does anyone else here drop shot for bluegills?  This is probably a tactic everyone knows about, but better late than never

Views: 408

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

yes sir I do!!  also jim gronaw!!   there is a trick you can do with a palmer knot-- to make your bait stand straight out!!    once you tie a palmer knot- hold the hook in your off hand-  hook point up.  now take the line- and run it thru the hook eye;; and pull down...  now the hook;; and bait; will hang straight out;; not hang down!!  add your sinker to that part of the line-- and  just bounce away!!

I do a drop-shot all the time, just like Carl describes.  Except, I usually have a slip-float on the line above the rig.  I find that rigging like this is more sensitive than a typical rig that has the hook on bottom, with some split shot on the line above the hook.

I'll have to try that, I have been wanting to try it for bass but it just seemed like another technique that most likely works as well as any other...Thanks for the tip about the bait hanging straight out!

I've done it years, ago, although it wasn't called "drop shot" then. We did it as a salt water method, but I've also used it in fresh.
I did it as Carl suggests, but it's been a long time.
Good luck with it.

This is a new one on me, had to go to youtube & find a video, I get it now, may have to try this myself.

I've been googling for how to tie a Palmer knot and have come up kind of dry. Did you possibly mean a Palomar knot, or is this really something different but little known?

Thanks!

When I saw it, I figured he meant Palomar.

The only "Palmer" I know of as relates to fishing comes from fly tying, where you spiral wrap a hackle feather onto a body, hook shank, etc.

if you want to have some fun- knot tying;;  check out-- knot wars!!   there are more different kinds;; and types of knots that you proably ever thought possible!!

You got that right, Carl. It is downright confounding. And in the end, if you're like most of us, you probably use the same handful of knots, time after time. You'll try a few different ones, at home. But out on the water, the old standbys come out.
For me, a knot has to be simple to tie. It was all I could do to tie the few knots the Navy made us learn. To this day, two hands are all I need to count the knots I can tie.

exactly david!!  I have 3 knots I use all the time;; but its fun to watch that knot war thing; just to see what guys come up with!!   also--  I think I have put just about as many-- couple of wraps; and a tangle-- in lines as any body!!  LOL!!

Hahahah - if it was easy, everyone would do it.

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
6 hours ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
6 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
7 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
7 hours ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
7 hours ago
7 hours ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
yesterday
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service