Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

I've been tying crappie jigs for years, but never thought of tying with the thought of targeting BG. Any thought on color or color combinations? I'm pouring some 1/64 oz heads on a #8 hook. 

Views: 5446

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

White feather ,Bucktail ,Rabbit fur  or flashabou with red thread collars and all  Black for cloudy days are the ones I use most and they work great .Jim Gronaw swears on Pink . I've used them and they work well too.

I too would like to hear more ideas on small crappie jig color combos for BG.  Does anyone have a favorite recipe for the fire-tiger combination of colors put together as a crappie jig.  this color combination painted on teardrop jigs seems to be excellent under the ice in my haunts and I think the added flair that a crappie jig brings could end up being that much deadlier. 

earl i think it depends on where you fish.black/chartreuse/yellow has always been good here in no il.i tie some snall jigs to resemble baby crayfish with brown rabbit gold crystal flash and brown grizzley hackle tips that catch gills and just about every thing else.great in the rocks or sand bottom,like they say the fish will let you know what they want.

I fish a lot of clear water lakes, I I've found that the best is natural colors like brown/olive or a natural with a little bit of color like brown/pink. Jim made some for me and so far when I've used them they have worked great for me. I haven't tried them in deep water yet

I am a HUGE fan of white for redear. When fishing a lake with decent numbers of redear, on pink I get about 10:1 bluegill over redear, on the same size with white I get about 2 maybe 3:1 bluegill over redear but a lot closer. For crappie chartreuse or pink of course, and well bluegill, I swear by chartreuse but I gotta try these browns you guys have been talking about. Smallmouth I will always use white. period. Great discussion 

I find the bluegill in my area (SC) tend to hit jigs with "bait-ish" colors, along with chartreuse and pink.

-  Junebug, or black with chartreuse.

- White or yellow.

- Firetiger/pink or pink w/ white.

Fact is, jigs alone (of any kind) don't produce really well for me. I do best when worms are added somewhere along the line...

Orange and brown has worked well for gills down this way. Pink and white in stained waters. Black and green tubes do good here as well.

I have done well on pink, olive and pearl with the grass shrimp patterns. I have some light brown ones to try and I have been experimenting with some dark brown and black patterns.

Some waters tend to favor certain color schemes and other waters favor another. If you can come close to the color of some of the forage then you are likely in the ball game.

Good luck!

I think color is not important but size is more important. I like natural color, green and black for clear water while bright like white or yellow for dark water. I did for fun in Florida that I use bright orange jig head with bright green glup wax worm and caught lot of bluegills and few over 10 inch! I like size 8 on 1/32 oz! 1/32 oz is easier to cast farther out with my 7ft 6 inch ultra-light rod!

When I fillet my catch of Bluegill and Redears, I always check their stomachs to see what they were feeding on.  It's always the same- dark, almost black aquatic insects, and once in a while there will be a snail or baby shad, maybe a tiny crawfish or clam.  Because of this black "stuff" in their stomachs, I like using black jigs.  Black maribou with just a bit of red is all you need for giant Bluegill here in Southern California.  But I have to say that sometimes I'll tie on an all gray/silver jig with eyes, if I think they are feeding on shad.  I've done very well with that color too.

Good post Jeff ! I'm suspecting you fish Gin clear water or am I wrong about that?

No John, the water is not clear.  You can see the bottom at maybe 5-6 feet.  I'm talking about my local Lake Perris, which was years ago a very clear lake.  Back in 1990 or so, you could see the bottom at 20 feet!  You could lay on a dock with your polaroid sunglasses on and see huge bass and Bluegill swimming along the bottom.

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
1 hour ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
1 hour ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
1 hour ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
1 hour ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
1 hour ago
1 hour ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
20 hours ago
John Sheehan posted photos
23 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service