Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

If you could only use one bait for the rest of your life what would it be?

Wanted to get some responses back on this.... If you had to throw everything out but one what would it be.  Strictly for bluegills and also just assume that you could have unlimited number of that bait but only one bait/type/size/color forever. 

Views: 3214

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's tough to beat a worm.... but I think we might need to take geography into account here, too....otherwise, you fellas who are going with crickets might get a little hungry if you had to fish for your supper in my neck of the woods right now! ;)

I agree with your reference to Geography Tony.....in the deep South a grass shrimp will take fish all year.....and they work better than crickets in cold water here in Carolina..... 

Tony, yeah i agree i would probably get a few laughs heading north with a short sleeve shirt and shorts carrying a 6'5" spinning rod/reel combo and a box of crickets to the ice. Always wondered if my dewalt cordless drill would get me through that ice you guys keep telling me about. Maybe one day i can give it a try.

I've seen guys use 18 volt drills with auger adapters Shawn....with a good set of blades they will surprise you with how much they'll do.

I think in my area of North East New Jersey the mealworm would take Gills 12 months of the year .

I've done well on mealworms also John. and I agree.....they will take fish all year round, including through the ice.

Mealworm ranching is this seasons experiment, Tony.

One thing I notice about my homegrown worms is they are both healthier and tougher than their store bought counterparts. The commercial versions are kind of vapid and pale, by comparison. This may be due to my small batch production, the media that I use or that they are "fresh." The worm on my hook, now, for example, was "worming" around the bin not 30 minutes before. It could be a combination of all these things, too.

My hope is that mealworms might also provide a "better bait," so to speak. In one regard they might have a start out of the gate over other baits. This is because we simply don't have them here. If there is a bait shop selling them, I've not seen it. My thought is that the fish have probably never seen them, or if so, only rarely. In that alone they could be a better bait.

I have no doubt there David. I'm convinced that offering a fish something "new" is a good idea....almost as good as fishing un-pressured fish.

I plan to employ some spikes in my region this season for that reason....I get takes on all the little artificial maggots, I can't believe the real thing wouldn't do great....the white/tan coloring should also enhance this approach in my dark waters....I'll report later when I test them out.....

i took a good friend and very good fisherman out with me and he said if it won't hit a worm it won't bite anything. I got 25 he got 2  CRICKETS  CRICKETS CRICKETS

I had a very similiar situation happen to me last summer.  I was fishing crickets under a float 2 foot deep over 6 foot of water around some docks.  My friend was fishing night crawler pieces on the bottom.  I caught bluegill after bluegill and he caught a few shellcrackers.  I will admit that he pulled in a couple of pretty good shellcrackers with the worms on the bottom but the crickets were outfishing the worms 6 to 1.  The shellcrackers were better quailty fish but not much better than the bluegills. 

Crickets will surely take fish, as long as the water stays warm.

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
6 hours ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
6 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
6 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
6 hours ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
6 hours ago
6 hours ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
yesterday
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service