Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

I would just like to say thanks to the makers of the Vexilar. I don't know how or why I ever went icefishing without one? Any of you ice fisherman out there still go icefishing blindfolded? I have also seen the In-Fisherman boys are using a flasher system called the Showdown? Anyone else using that unit?

Here is a collection of pics from December 22 and December 23.

Views: 3271

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I fished without one until a few yrs ago.........I purchased the unit from my late best friends widow, I didn't need the flasher as much as she needed the money, but I was eager to help out in any way. The Showdown has been getting some good reviews and is much more affordable than a Vex........I take my Vex everywhere now although I have a fishing partner who is in his late 60's who outfishes me 2 to1 without electronics.....it's hard to compete with pure wisdom.
Could you imagine what that oldtimer could do if he could know exactly where his jig and where the fish were at all times?

You are correct though, electronics cant compete with someone who is simply in tune with the fish!
Nice pictures!!

Welcome to the new age of ice fishing. You won't be disappointed.

For me a Vexilar is much more than a depth finder/fish finder. It's like being able to sight fish in stained water.

With practice, you will be able to read a burn and it's relationship to your lure, then dictate a jigging style to provoke more strikes.

With practice, you will even be able to differentiate species on the Vex by where they are in the water column and how they react to different jigging motions. Even in 3 feet of water.

Your pictures show 2 Vexilars. A fl 12 and fl 18 just guessing. We run a fl 20, fl 18 and an eighteen year old fl 8. (Have 4 sons, and yes I need more Vexilars).

I've fished over 90% of the flashers on the market and they all will help you find and catch fish, but I will say not all flashers are created equal. I would also like to mention just because In-Fish or Babe Winkleman fishes one brand of flasher, does not make it the best. What it actually means is that is where a company decided to spend it's marketing $$ promoting their product. If you watched the In-Fisherman ice show where they are catching lakers in Canada, the guide is fishing a Marcum and the Showdown is out of a hole laying on the ice behind him.

I prefer a Vexilar for 18 years of use with 0 problems other than a battery. I guess if I add all three units life together, it would be 25 years. Plus features like low power mode on the 2 newer units. If one of the new flasher company's product withstands the test of time and has the features I'm looking for, I will be fishing it. Most haven't been on the ice enough to tell longevity and the only low power unit is Vexilar.

There is something about watching the green flicker of your jig pounding on the screen and having a red burn come in the cone angle lower than the jig, slowly working the burn up until it matches the green flicker, then feel your rod bounce from a strike, all in real time.

Don Cox
Mullen Ne
To be honest, I dont even know what the models I am using are. But with me, the less buttons and features something has, the more effective I am with it!

I definitely need to get about 4 or 5 more units! I regularly take large groups icefishing, and everyone "fights" over the use of the vexilars. Even when fishing side by side in the same hut!
Couple more vexilar pics. My brother and dad from Christmas Eve.

I'm kind of like Don,still have a FL-8FLT,that's still goin strong.I have cleaned it and replaced batteries and added a new Pro II case. I have a FL-18 that I bought myself for Christmas this year and it's a mighty fine unit.I still fish without them when I'm sight fishing,but boy they are a great tool.

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
7 hours ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
8 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
8 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
8 hours ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
8 hours ago
8 hours ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
yesterday
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service