Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

I've always used either 4 or 6lb mono my entire fishing career, it's what dad raised me on. Today I bought a new President model reel and the guy at  the Bass Pro Shop talked me into buying some 5lb braid for the reel. He said I need a mono backer though. What would be the best knot to tie in this situation? The Blood Knot seems to be the popular choice, what about the Albright Knot or Surgeon's Knot? He did say the braid can be hard to control on windy days but that I'll feel bites I've never felt before. Also said to put sissors in the tackle box, said clippers normally won't cut braid.

He also educated me on properly using the drag of my reel. He said my drag and most fisherman's drag for that matter, is way to tight. He suggest I ease my drag back considerably, almost to much for my taste. This guy was very knowledgable though and fished for ten years in various bass tournaments. Any answers?

Views: 2262

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've used braid for several years and yes you do need a few yards(5-10) of mono backing. It keeps the braid from slipping on the spool. I would use a simple surgeon knot to join the mono to the braid, that far down on the spool you should have no worries of it hanging up in your guides. From saltwater experience I've learned not to tie my line to the spool, just use electrical tape to hold it to the spool for the first wrap. This will also help with slipping and the event you get spooled, no damage to reel or rod trying to break off.

The lighter drag setting is to keep from pulling the hook out of their mouth or thru the fishes lip.

You will definately feel the differance between mono and braid. As far as a leader, you really only need one in ultra clear water. I use #6 power pro, for trout fishing tied straight to the hook and never had a problem. Also use the same line on all my UL reels for panfishing.

RSS

Latest Activity

Troy Dorman posted a photo
11 hours ago
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Lure Histories in the group Lure History
"This year my old Rattle Traps have been catching again in the 3",1/2 oz, and 3,5",3/4oz…"
18 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's group Lure History
"The Rattle Traps over the windy flats have called Fish up and done well. 2 mid sized and two…"
yesterday
"Here are some Classic Baits I've thrown this Year (2024) so far.  "
yesterday
yesterday
yesterday
"Here are some Classic Baits I've thrown this Year (2024) so far. "
yesterday
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Thanks Tracy."
Thursday
tracy willis commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Wednesday
tracy willis commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"toad!!"
Wednesday
dick tabbert posted a photo

Big rubber soider

Prototype of a big rubber spider 3x3" with a #4 2xl hook.
Wednesday
Troy Dorman commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

Vince with two nice ones

"Thanks, Jeff! Yes, he's soon to be 16!"
Wednesday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0180

"Ah! That's the Mustache!"
Wednesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0180

"This is the one I caught the perch on. Mushtache Minnow."
Wednesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"John, it's a mess but as soon as the mustache minnow gets wet it takes on the looks of a…"
Wednesday
John Sheehan commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Tuesday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Yeah, growing some Slab Perch there Dick! A mustache?"
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Thanks Jeffrey."