Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

I've always used either 4 or 6lb mono my entire fishing career, it's what dad raised me on. Today I bought a new President model reel and the guy at  the Bass Pro Shop talked me into buying some 5lb braid for the reel. He said I need a mono backer though. What would be the best knot to tie in this situation? The Blood Knot seems to be the popular choice, what about the Albright Knot or Surgeon's Knot? He did say the braid can be hard to control on windy days but that I'll feel bites I've never felt before. Also said to put sissors in the tackle box, said clippers normally won't cut braid.

He also educated me on properly using the drag of my reel. He said my drag and most fisherman's drag for that matter, is way to tight. He suggest I ease my drag back considerably, almost to much for my taste. This guy was very knowledgable though and fished for ten years in various bass tournaments. Any answers?

Views: 2262

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I use 3lb and 4lb on two of my reels, I used some mono backing as well, I think its is so it wont slip around the reel. I used a double uni knot to connect the two. On the leader end I have a small swivel, so that I can attach a fluorocarbon leader. Just change the leader when you want to use a diff set up and your good to go. I love using the braid for small lures/crankbaits etc cast further and quick response when I twitch my rod.    

First, I'd go with the guy's recommendations, until you know otherwise.

Second the braid WILL take scissors, if its the modern type. And they need to be sharp - cutting the braid with anything less is frustrating.

I believe I would use a fluoro leader, of about 2 feet. Like Tony says, add a snap swivel to the end of the braid. The braid lends itself to being seen by wary panfish.  Youll pay $8-$10 for 100 yds of .007" fluoro - but it will last a log time as leader.

I'd go with a blood knot for line to line connections, because it's easy to tie. But the Albright is supposed to be the go to choice when joining dissimilar line types. I find it to be fiddly, however.

As for the drag, well... this is a matter of both taste and function. I tend to agree with your "advisor," and keep my drag fairly loose. I want to set the hook, but not snatch it hard. My thinking is I can always tighten it, and panfish aren't going to require much. 

I use the double uni it seems a littler easier to tie.  The Blood Knot seemed like the knot would slip right out when I went to tighten it during tying.  Both knots are equally strong and smooth. I cut my braid with a sharp knife.

see

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c37njIhKjms

Ditto....the uni-knot.....I never cut the braid....I burn it!

OK, I joined the mono backer to the braid with an Albright Knot, it looks decent. Can I get away with just tying my braided line onto my hook or do I need a leader of some sort? I'm kind of lazy I guess and didn't want to have to deal with buying a fluoro leader and tying it on too.

Troy...I have had success with using very small barrel swivels to attach a leader. I tie on the braid with a Palomar knot, and the mono leader with an improved clinch. I usually have a 3 to 4 foot 'leader of the mono of your preference.

Lately, for light biting crappies, I have been using 4 pound test Fireline Crystal, which is 1 pound mono diameter, and a section of 2 pound test SOS clear mono, by Trout Magnet ( Leland Lures).

Hope this helps!

I like Jim Gronaws advice, here. Using swivels and snaps to join things up sounds good.

Can I think out loud for a minute? I like things pre-rigged, because this saves time out on the water. So, while youre sitting around watching "River Monsters," why not pre-tie a mess of pan fish leader sections?

Just attach small swivels on one end of 24" lengths of fluoro line. I use #14 or #16 swivels for this. They are rated at 10 lb breaking strain, which is plenty for pan fishing. The leader line I'll be using this year is Trilene 4lb fluorocarbon, .007".... the thickness of two pieces of copy paper! Tying these at home is best, anyway, since this line is hard to see!

Leave the terminal end of the leader free for tying on hooks, jigs or whatever you will be using. If you want to go even further with this pre-tying business, why not put a uni-snap on the terminal ends of some of them? These you can use for small spoons, crank baits and so on.

On the braid itself, tie another uni-snap at the end. Here again, I use the smallest I can find. This is where your pre-tied leader swivels will link up. To get fishing, just pull one of the pre-tied, swiveled leaders from your tackle box and clip it on the end of the braid. And if you like, you can tie running lures right to the snaps on the braid end and avoid the leader altogether. No muss, no fuss.

Where line has to run through a tackle item, use more snaps and clips. For example, if you are using egg sinkers for bottom fishing, use copper wire loops through the center and attach them to the braid that way. If you are running slip floats, attach them to the braid with a snap-split ring-snap double ended link.

Again, most of this requires pre-rigging the various elements prior to arrival. The complication of prerigging now, saves you time "out there." So plan ahead.

David:  After you have tied up all your pre-made rigs, you need an easy way to store them tangle free.  I use short sections cut from the bright colored "pool noodles".  You can add slots in the foam with a serrated bread knife.  I roll mine on a flat surface and lightly cut into the circumference with the knife. 

The noddles are inexpensive so you can buy a selection in order to color-code your rigs.

All of the responses to your thread have merit. Just shows how varied an anglers opinion can be.  I usually use the double uni to tie mono to braid. The poster who mentioned a wind problem with braid is correct. I just got into braid recently and found that on a long cast in wind you can end up with a large bow in the line. The line really floats in the air on a windy day.

Thanks badgerloader! I've used the "pool noodles" in the past and still have a few of them with catfish rigs, in the bottom of my big tackle box. Since I've switched to pan fish, I've come to like rectangular sections of the same sort of foam. Rectangular keepers pack better for storage.

I get the foam for these from electronics packaging. Whenever I see this stuff being discarded, I snag it and cut it into "right sized" segments.

Double uni knot - never use swivels.

i use braided line with swivel connect and short 1 -2 foot mono leaders. mainly because after 2-3 hits from good bluegill they will knick the braid just enough to break it,using mono leaders usually stretches it out to 5-6 before rerigging.

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
15 hours ago
John Sheehan posted photos
18 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's status
"An Instrumental Guitar recording of mine to commemorate. …"
Sunday
John Sheehan posted a status
"Trout Season opens April 6th in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for stocking."
Sunday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Plastic Worm varieties in the group Lure History
"My favorites through the Years: Manns Jelly Worm, Manns Auger tail, Charlie Brewers 4" on a…"
Sunday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Plastic Worm varieties in the group Lure History
Sunday
Sunday
Troy Dorman commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

"Thank you, Jeffrey!"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service