Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Good morning/afternoon Big Bluegill family,

I have been fishing for Bluegill since I was five (42 now) but have always used some type of worm or cricket. I have seen countless pictures of custom micro jigs on Big Bluegill, along with success stories from members. Since I have never used micro jigs and a true novice at fishing mini jigs (rarely use them), any advice on standard setup and presentation would be much appreciated. I would like to use 6 or 8 pound test if possible as I have a bad knee and cannot run down the banks quickly to finesse a large Redear up with 2-4 pound test.

Also, can anyone provide tactics for presenting these close to the bottom, where big Redear like to lurk? Thanks in advance

Views: 1892

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If you have an Ultra-lite rod/reel combo that can cast a microjig with good distance, you can fish the jig as is, and do a slow retrieve, just bumping bottom here and there.  If you have a fly rod, you can cast 1/80 and down well with a good fly rod.  Personally, I prefer to put a weighted float on the line above the jig, and let the weight of the float carry the jig.  You can do a stop-start retrieve, a twitching retrieve, let the wind drift it, etc.

Jeff Abney uses telescopic rods of varying lengths, no reels, just a set length of line, and drops a jig into cover.  This is a close-up technique, and employed from a boat.

All of these methods work.  Which one(s) you go with depends on the gear you have, the area you're fishing, and your personal preference.

I AGREE TOTALLY WITH ALLEN!!  ONE MORE WAY TO USE THE MICRO;S;; A DROPPER RIG BEHIND A POPPING BUG!!  LAST  YEAR IT WAS EXTREMLY DEADLY!!  GOING TO USE IT AGAIN THIS YEAR TO!!

Vertical jigging is another way to go... last season i took my ice fishing setup up out there on the boat with some power pro micro braid and some tear drop jigs tipped with gulp pink maggot, nightcrawler bits or live waxies. while spotting schools of fish on the sonar in water from 22 up to 10 ft drop the presentation in their midst and hang on! if you don't own a sonar use a paper map or smartphone app like navionics.com to put yourself on points bars humps or inside bends known to congregate fish.  lite sensitive line is key in this presentation.

Slip ------<")))))><(

It looks like you are playing Missile Command, Ken. ;^>

I have had some luck with light jigs and short slip bobbers with no stop. You cast and free line and it drops to the bottom. Reel the slack out. Then if you give it a quick little jerk, it raises it slightly. If you keep the line tight and reel slowly you bring it toward you without raising it. Let the line go slack and it falls. It's a little tricky and if you get a bite while it is still out a ways you have to set the hook hard because you have to pull line fast enough to defeat the "bobber as shock absorber". If there are snags I tie in a swivel and use about a 1' to 2' leader so that when I lose a jig I don't lose the bobber.

Thanks Slip Sinker!

I like vertical jigging. Even with my ultralight combos I use I still have problems getting my micros out past say 10 feet. So what I do not is almost always fish two rather than one on my line. That way it doubles the weight and I can fish two different colors to see what the want. I can also fish two different depths to find out where the fish are holding.

Nathan

If vertical jigging is your thing, try a fixed line pole. You get exact placement and depending on the size pole good for about 20 feet from shoreline.  

JDA

I will have to try that...I was actually looking at my local fishing store and they have a 16ft long collapsible fiberglass one for like 10$...Couldn't hurt to give it a shot.

Nathan 

May want to try a 10 foot to start. You get the 10 foot pole plus 10 foot of line. Should be effective for about 10 - 18 feet 

Do you choke up on them to keep from wearing your wrist out or something? Seems like the leverage would work over your wrist and forearm pretty good.

It's a good point Andy.......I am most comfortable with a 10-12 footer for gills and no larger than 13' for Crappie if I'm holding it full time.......I own 16 to 20 footers for trolling but these size poles are a challenge to hold for extended periods as you suggest.....if I could only pick one size, that would be 12 footers for everything..........but I do enjoy the challenge of catching big fish on a 10 foot switch for lack of better words.......

Depends on the pole . A 16 foot US pole would be about 18 -20 oz. Some people sit and use their legs for leverage. Other people use a pole brace. I use Japanese poles . My 14 foot pole is about 3.5 oz. I also use a 7 foot pole for sight fishing at 3/4 oz. Both are deadly on light line and small hooks. My fishing is a bit different 

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
4 hours ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
4 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
4 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
4 hours ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
4 hours ago
4 hours ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
23 hours ago
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service