Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

My "pa in law''has three beautiful ponds. You can catch bluegills all day long .but they're all the same size,small! How can I manage the ponds to get some nice gills ? I am sure this has been brought up before but I am new here .Thanks

Views: 425

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

can you get on chat so I can talk to you?
Never done the chat thing, but I could try. Honestly though, you probably want to ask a person who is more knowledgeable about these things than I, like Bruce. How would I get on chat?
click on chat instead of forums
You need more predators. You can stock more bass, though it will hurt the average size of the bass; another method, which will not hurt the bass size, is to stock a few northern pike or tiger muskie, two to four per acre. If you live in the North tiger muskie would be better because they're sterile and can't spawn; in the South the pike won't be able to spawn either. I've used this method more than once to thin out overcrowded sunfish populations. Don't stock flathead catfish though unless the lake is very large, thirty or forty acres or more, because they get much bigger even than muskie and have a larger gape and will eat down the bluegill and bass both.

Feeding per the Pond Boss thread will also make a big difference, though population correction is job number one right now for you.
how many bass do you have in there and other types of fish?
Dale, she told me in our chat that she stocked 8 channel cats in there up to 16". Am I remembering correctly Sharon? No bass. I suggested more cats and that her 1/4 acre pond would sustain a few bass as well.
Catfish won't thin out an overpopulated bluegill population. Bass won't unless stocked in large numbers.
I'm not sure about the CF, that is just what I've seen during feedings. There are only a few 5" BG in there that I have caught. Don't know where any bigger ones would be if there are any. I put in 150 fry in myself. Doesn't seem overpopulated with BG at the present time, but I do wonder what happened to all the big BG. As far as I have been told, no one has put any new fish (except the 150) in there for 10 years, and they only catch CF to eat. In such a small pond, wouldn't bass eat every BG in there?

RSS

Latest Activity

Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Thumbnail

Same Sunset Yesterday over the Albemarle Sound...North Carolina....1/23/2022

"Thanks Bruce.....we average about 5" a year but often we will skip it all…"
Tuesday
Bruce Tomaselli commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Monday
John Sheehan commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Monday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted photos
Monday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

The catchers

"For Gills and Pseeds  yes the 10th oz SP,Bruce. But for Perch, Bass and Pickerel,…"
Sunday
Bruce Tomaselli commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

The catchers

"I always to well with the smaller ones for pan fish."
Sunday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Thumbnail

Creek Closest To My House......1/22/2022

"Right Bruce....I'm over it already, but Mother Nature rules......"
Sunday
John Sheehan posted a photo

The catchers

Ice spoons that caught Perch, Bass and Pickerel. Tipped with Salted Shiner Heads or Fathead…
Saturday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Tipping with Perch eyes in the group East coast Ice fisherman
"Using figers instead of Knife: How To Remove Perch Eyes For Bait - Bing video "
Saturday
Bruce Tomaselli commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Thumbnail

"Wow, I didn't know it got that cold down there. You might as well move to PA, hahaha."
Saturday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted a photo

Yes, it's coastal North Carolina.....happens every few years//
Saturday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Tipping with Perch eyes in the group East coast Ice fisherman
"Lindy Flyer and Rapala Jigging Raps are two Lures I have tipped with Perch Eyes to catch Bluegills…"
Friday
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group East coast Ice fisherman
Friday
John Sheehan commented on Wade Jones's group Crappie Crew
"16" 2# Nov.18 2021   "
Jan 19
John Sheehan commented on Bruce Condello's group www.BigBullhead.com
"The Floating Jig /Split Shot Rig with small piece of Hotdog or crawler piece. The …"
Jan 18
John Sheehan replied to Slip Sinker's discussion ICE-ING GILLS BRAGGER BOARD in the group ICE-ING GILLS -<")))))><( RIGS, TIPS AND TRICKS
"These three spoons were the catchers   Jan/Feb 2021 :1/8th oz. Slimfish/ ,1/5th oz. and…"
Jan 18
John Sheehan replied to Slip Sinker's discussion ICE-ING GILLS BRAGGER BOARD in the group ICE-ING GILLS -<")))))><( RIGS, TIPS AND TRICKS
"My two best from 2021. Spoons tipped with Salted Shiner Heads took them both.PB Perch was 14""
Jan 18
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's group East coast Ice fisherman
"AMAZING RECORD CATCH : New State Record Cusk Landed in New Hampshire | Field & Stream…"
Jan 18
Bruce Tomaselli added 3 discussions to the group ICE-ING GILLS -<")))))><( RIGS, TIPS AND TRICKS
Jan 17
Jeffrey D. Abney posted a status
"it's rough to have a long weekend and be grounded the entire time....but such is winter.....maybe next week I'll get a chance...."
Jan 17

© 2022   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service