Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Do people really want to learn how to catch fish? Describe how you initially learned to catch fish.

Views: 2179

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's also called long long long reeling fishing..or broke gears. Strangely enough, ultra light gears can handle much more pounding than heavier gears. One of the bass chaser broke his heavy expensive gear hauling a 30+ lbs cat, and I broke mine on a carp. But, my ultra light can handle exceptionally well with huge monsters on the line. Take a very very very long time to reel it in. Quite fun..

This is probably due to the fact that light rods and line have a lot of flex. They absorb the stress loads if a big fish, instead of being stiff and unyielding.

I like that he has a complete system with all the parts. I get the feel, touch thing for the bass and in my experience these big cichlids chase down baits but they also will take in baits and spit it out same as bluegills - but with more force. Funny bigger jaws clamp shut similar to smaller jaws...The game is the same on a different scale.

You know, I've said that too, Johnny. Bluegill fishing is more like bass fishing than not. Its a matter of scale, in the end.

David, Dick, and Leo

Thanks for the comments.  Your right about Charlie Brewer using light hooks and and fishing slowly, but the most important thing I got out of his book was counting your jig down and estimating how deep the fish are in the water column.  The next important thing I got out of his book was counting how fast or slow your retrieve should be.  These two things are what keep you on the fish. 

I enjoy fishing this way because it keeps my hands and concentration engaged, so the fishing is not boring to me.  I don't know if I am patient enough to do the hook and bobber thing or the horizontal jigging.  I do like to use a slip bobber and jig and reel it in slowly because it keeps the jig at the depth the fish are at longer.  Charlie Brewer was  an experimenter who shared what he learned with others, and he is in the Fresh Water Fishing Hall of Fame. 

I am really looking forward to trying out this spooning method to catch big blue gill.  Thanks guys at big blue gill. com for sharing your knowledge with me. 

David Dillman

David you hit it right on the head. I've been fishing jigs for at least 30 + years and that's one of the most important thing to learn is counting down your jig. If a new person learns anything that it the single most important piece of information they need to start with and get in the habit of doing it. It's an easy simple thing to do just count. When you catch that fish remember the number you counted to. Rule of thumb your jig fall at about a foot a second.  Good job David

I hear you saying you feel the lure... Waiting for the fish to react.
I like that..

Thanks Dick,

Have your ever tried a Tennessee Handle fishing rod.  They are super sensitive, and they were started by Charlie Brewer.   I was talking about mine in Jason Grimm's new gear for the new year.  I hope I get back a straight rod from the Sportsman Guide.

Dick from what I gather you have a pond?  Have you ever used a float tube on it?  I love to use a float tube on the farm ponds I fish. 

David funny you should ask. I never did any float tubing but I think Leo and Greg bent my arm and force me to try it. Well to make a long story short I ordered a tube last week and received it today. So I will be tubing this year and I know it will be enjoyable. All I have to do is get my fins yet. Jen told me what to get and were I could  find them with much approval from others in the BBG. So I should have them shortly. Thanks you for asking.

Dick, You got your tube and not pics yet?????? We didn't bent your arm, but you could see our passion for tubes!!!!!!

Dick 

float tubing is quieter then boating.  It is like you become part of the environment.  I have had blue gill come up and nip the hair on my legs, so do not be surprised by this.  some times I smash crappie nibbles in the netting  of my tube and watch the blue gill eat right in front of me.  I really believe you will enjoy fishing this way. 

David

Another aspect of slider fishing is using a reel with a slow gear ratio.  Last year  My shimano fx 1000 had a gear ratio I believe of 4.3 to 1.  This year  I bought a okuma ultra lite reel with a gear ratio of 4.5 to 1, but it has ball bearings.  This is one way to slow down your retrieve with the slower gear ratio on your reel.

Thanks David I will need all the info I can get and I know the best info come from seasoned veterans that actually use the tube, so be aware I may even ask you a question or two, 

RSS

Latest Activity

Troy Dorman posted a photo
7 hours ago
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Lure Histories in the group Lure History
"This year my old Rattle Traps have been catching again in the 3",1/2 oz, and 3,5",3/4oz…"
15 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's group Lure History
"The Rattle Traps over the windy flats have called Fish up and done well. 2 mid sized and two…"
yesterday
"Here are some Classic Baits I've thrown this Year (2024) so far.  "
yesterday
yesterday
yesterday
"Here are some Classic Baits I've thrown this Year (2024) so far. "
yesterday
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Thanks Tracy."
Thursday
tracy willis commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Wednesday
tracy willis commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"toad!!"
Wednesday
dick tabbert posted a photo

Big rubber soider

Prototype of a big rubber spider 3x3" with a #4 2xl hook.
Wednesday
Troy Dorman commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

Vince with two nice ones

"Thanks, Jeff! Yes, he's soon to be 16!"
Wednesday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0180

"Ah! That's the Mustache!"
Wednesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0180

"This is the one I caught the perch on. Mushtache Minnow."
Wednesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"John, it's a mess but as soon as the mustache minnow gets wet it takes on the looks of a…"
Wednesday
John Sheehan commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Tuesday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Yeah, growing some Slab Perch there Dick! A mustache?"
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Thanks Jeffrey."