Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Wondering if any of you use the gulp alive products and if you would share your unbiased opinions.  I have watched some you tube clips but most of the guys were in high dollar bass boats with Berkley written all over it and their shirts.  Is it worth the price?  Is it easily torn off the hook?  How do prefer to rig it?  And most importantly does it work well?  Your opinions are the ones that matter to me.  Please let me know.  Thanks.

Views: 6255

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Rex...I have done very well with Gulp Alive 1 inch minnows in smelt and emerald shiner for crappie during the cold water period the past 2 years. It is a tough bait that I thread on a 1/32 oz ball head jig and fish it slowly below a bobber or on the free-fall with a tight line. I can catch 20 to 30 fish on a single minnow, as compared to one small crappie on a live fathead minnow, plus you don't get you hands cold rebaiting every fish. I prefer 2 pound test Trout Magnet SOS mono for this fishing.  Here are a few of the bigger fish that I released last December on them...

I probably got 200 crappie last December on the Gulp Alive minnows. Only one good trip so far this Dec for 30 fish, with 19 eaters in the mix. It is a tough bait, and I recently had crappie hit them fished dead still below a bobber, threaded on an Aberdeen hook, like a live minnow, hooked where the dorsal fin would be. I highly reccommend this product. I am also sponsored by my wallet!

Good Luck!

Thanks for the reply Jim.  I was concerned how durable it was, as I had used a similar product a few years ago that would fall apart after a couple of cast.  From the looks of your results I'll have to give these a try.

I'll second the Gulp alive minnows.... I use the Emerald Shiner with great results, same way as Jim......suspended below a float, or tightlined down. 1/32 jighead, or sometimes a 1/64th, both have produced well for me.

I have used the Gulp alive "waxworms", and while I have taken fish on them, they haven't been as good a producer for me as the minnows. They are quite durable, however.

I have experienced good results as well on the 1" Gulp Minnows....my personal favorite is Chartreuse because I use them in combination with live bait.....You might say then why not just fish the live bait? I believe the color is important in the dark waters I fish so this helps the fish locate the bait and the protein nugget of live bait puts it over the top......I have lost a couple during a fish strike but this is normally after several fish have been caught and start to break down the plastic.....

gulp! minnows are great. i caught several gills on them yesterday, sometimes i tip them with crappie nibbles too, i hardly ever use a jig head with them though, i put them on an aberdeen hook size 6 i think and put it under a float and let her rip, these little baits will catch any fish that swims i think

i think they are great to have at times.especially when you just got a couple hours to fish.outfish live bait?no way.minnows are a pain if you are shore fishing.wax worms are cheap ,last a while and will catch any thing.by that i mean tip a jig beetle spin road runner etc.i have caught 1000s of crappies and gills on a roadrunner with a wax worm on it.i know people that slow troll beetle spin type baits with a large split shot above to get it deep .tip with a small plastic tube and waxworm .they fill buckets with panfish.could not believe till i saw it.tried gulp waxies and minnows they worked well,but sometimes so does any thing.don't think they are the answer in cold water.

Not saying this is every time, but a couple times they out fished live minnows by a mile, put the 2.5" minnow on a jig head and killed the crappie and bass, couldn't get anything to hit a live minnow then, could've possibly been the presentation getting their attention also

hey jeffrey-is that a cricket i see on that yellow gulp?kind of like a bluegill turducken?lol

Yeah Jim.....I'll throw a grass shrimp or a piece of worm on there too......I like the combination approach.....

I USE GULP ALIVE 1 INCH IN SMELT AND CHARTREUSE. VERY EFFECTIVE FOR CRAPPIE AND GILLS WHEN NOTHING ELSE WORKS. I PUT THEM ON 1/80 JIG HEADS. JUST DONT FORGET AND LEAVE THEM ON OVER NIGHT. THEY GET LIKE CONCRETE AND YOU HAVE TO USE PLIERS TO GET THEM OFF. GOOD LUCK,  HUGH

Ive only used a few of the Gulp products, to no avail, I might add.

From my experience, the fish merely laugh at them. I tested them once against worms and the fish wouldn't even give them a second glance.

There are surely times and places where they DO work, as other anglers prove. I just haven't found the "magic." This coming season, I'm going to try the 1" minnows as trailers on small Idaho spinners. We'll see if that works out.

Smelt 1"

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
5 hours ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
5 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
6 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
6 hours ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
6 hours ago
6 hours ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
yesterday
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service