Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

My first experience with it was with Vanish. On a spin reel and as tippet for steelhead. So-so. Seaguar and P-line seem to be somewhat better, limper, better handling. So my question is... in your opinion, which flourocarbon line would be best, even to spool up with, not just tippet mat'l.. ? steve b

Views: 298

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yup, Vanish was my first try, and came to same conclusion, am looking for limpest, most castable, tyable, to spool a whole reel with. Never seems to fail, at last light, bite takes off, then I break off. My dexterity is comprimised for several reasons, add to low light issue,well I only want to tie one knot then, an easy one. Just for this one reel, for that one use. steve b
Steve,

Umpqa superflorocarbon is what you are looking for but it is expensive. If you use regular Umpqa mono (http://www.umpqua.com/t-umpquaproducts.aspx) in a 6lb for example and then use a 4 lb superflorocarbon leader you will almost always just break off the leader section so you only tie one knot. I use a number 14 two way swivel tied to the 6 lb and tie the 4 Lb leader to the other end of the swivel.

This way if you make a long cast with just a single line it may break at the reel or anywhere in between and you lose all that line. Using the other method, most of the time you will break off below the swivel losing only a small section of the superflorocarbon. It doesn't have to be 6 lb to 4 lb, it could be 12 lb to 10 lb or 10 lb to 8 lb.

Mostly I use 6 lb to 4 lb, but often I use 4 lb to 2 lb.. Two lb florocarbon works as well as 1 lb mono. The lighter the line the more natural everything looks and big bluegills are as sensitive to a natural presentation as any trout. FWIW.
I've used several versions of fluoro and have had no problems running full spools with any of them. Stren fluoro, Vanish, P-line have all worked well. I use only 4 and 6 pound tests. Part of your problem could be in the setup. I spool these onto 2500 size reels which helps with line management. I also use longer 6.5' ML fast action rods. Finally, make sure to wet every knot and pull it tight s-l-o-w-l-y. Fluoro hates heat which is generated when cinching down dry line.
OK, just home from trout camp. The Berekely Profeesional Grade floroucarbon in 4lb worked great ! I spooled it onto a reel, wasn't happy with fill level, tranfered it onto a second reel to put some filler on, than wound back from second reel to first. A recipe for disaster ! So wired two big snap swivel, in tandem to my bird feeder pole and back across yard and down the driveway, applied pressure and wound it back on. No problems line-wise all weekend. steve b

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
32 minutes ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
33 minutes ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
56 minutes ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
56 minutes ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
57 minutes ago
57 minutes ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
19 hours ago
John Sheehan posted photos
22 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service