Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Fishing Traditions.........Any you folks care to share! Let's hear about them.....maybe back when you were a kid.....who cares!

This discussion is for sharing those traditions that include fishing.......we would love to hear fom you!

Views: 268

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Crappie fishing on Good Friday on Kentucky Lake with my Dad and Brother was a close as we came to a tradition. We were either out of school or off work on that day and the Crappie were preparing to spawn. I can remember catching lots of fish, being blown off the water, and getting caught in a snow storm on the way home once. I wrecked my car on the way home once too. But overall the memories were great and so was the fishing.

Sounds like a good time Keith......Good Friday is always a turning point here in coastal Carolina........

Got to reminiscing this morning while my wife and I were putting Thanksgiving dinner together........As a kid all of the Sharp family would assemble in the "country" at my grand parent's home near Folsom, Louisiana........My mother was always a key player in feeding the masses so we would get there early on Thanksgiving morning.......Once I got  a little older I would head straight for one of the seven stocked ponds on their farm.........either with a few garden worms or catching grasshoppers at the pond shorelines........I caught some of the largest gills of my life back then and you never realize how good you had it until it's gone......This property was purchased by developers after the passing of Monroe and Vernie Sharp, and now it's a subdivision and the memories are hidden to most.......Those were the good old days, yet I like many, was in a hurry to grow up! Go figure......

No doubt about that. You can show me some of those beds. Haven't fished up there in a while. Do you spider rig , long line or tight line?
Oops sorry wrong one
It was probably the best time to go before the fair weather fishermen crowded the lake.
We always single poled. Never got into the spider rigging. We used jigs my Dad tied 90% of the time. Stake beds, brush piles and stump beds always produced.

PERSONNELY  I LOVE THE WILLOW FLY HATCH TIME!!   FISH GO CRAZY THEN!!  TONS OF FUN ON A FLY ROD!!

Well for me in south Louisiana ----->  April 15th   (yes it's tax dead line date)  rings a bell every year for me ------ seems like cold fronts are done with --- garden is usually planted ---- baseball is in full swing ----- crabs starting to bite ---- flyfishing topwater bite is on ---- can go fishing and enjoy myself without being cold ------ crawfish prices come down (yea boiled crawfish and crabs) -----  birds / bees / butterflies are out and about in my yard ---- grass and trees looking beautiful ----  Don't know if you'll call this a tradition, but when  April 15th   comes,  it's like turning on a light switch for me -----> get out and enjoy nature and enjoy life.   

I totally understand......I count down to Good Friday every winter ..........I skipped Mardi Gras growing up, always looked for spawning bass on the tidal rice fields around Lake Ponchartrain.

AND ----->  forgotten to mention time change about this time of year   

I despise this time of year and hate the time change!

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
5 hours ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
5 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
5 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
5 hours ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
5 hours ago
5 hours ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
yesterday
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service