Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

I am a newbie and thanks to all for this great site.

I fish a very small lake for Bluegills and Shellcrackers and the shallow end has a covering of lillypads. I have caught some very nice gills up to 9" here. This is my first year to target gills, so i was wondering what is the best way to fish the lillypads. So far, all i do is throw up close and wait for a nice gill or shellcracker with an attitude to come along....lol

I am using an ultra light with a worm under the bobber. The water depth is only about 3 ft and i am fishing about 18" sometimes 2 ft deep

Anyone care to suggest ways to fish those pads.

Views: 288

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dog days of summer is my fav time to fish for gills. With honey dues increasing and other hobbies consuming most of my time my fishing this year has been limited to once a week or less for only an hour or to. Lillies I found are the most productive fishing in august. My best advice for fishing the lillies is to pull the trollin motor up and find a good push pole. Its gonna take a lil bit of patience...... Well a whole lot of patience to learn the amount of self control it takes to move a boat around in lillies to be killa in them. Be slow and stalk the fish like a lion after a herd of prey. Once you find your lillies ease into them be patient and use a cane or fiberglass jiggin pole to jig your way threw. My fav is to take massive amounts of crickets with me. Most of the time I take at least 300. I get in the pads and settle down and start jiggin with canepoles. Find any open hole and set her in. I like using at least 2 poles. Once everything is calm and settled. I get me a handfull of crickets and give a good toss like throwin fertilizzer. Give it a min or so. Gills if there there are gonna start showin themselfs. Push as close as you can but still be as far as you can and be able to make good cast without any disruption to the water. HANG ON!!! Enjoy the show. Everywhere they hit ..... Throw in rite behind. Hope this works as good for you as it does for me. . 50 keeper size gills in a few sets of lillies is an easy task within just a couple hours if you get it rite......... PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT!
Thanks Jeremy, that sound like alot of fun. I will have to get my feet wet and give it a try. And Dick I appreciate your input. You covered somthing i had thought about and that is once hooked how do I keep from getting tangled in the pads. I have never used a fly rod, however I am going fishing with my brother-in-law in a couple of weeks and he is going to give me a lesson in fly fishing. Wish me luck:)
I have used Dick's method many times with a fly rod. I use a frugal frog type popper, letting the popper land on the pads and slowly pulling it off if the gills are there you don't have to wait long. Be prepared though I have caught as many nice bass using the same method.
you tlakin about the frog popper on a fly rod i have had them eat the popper through the lilly pad
Find out how deep is at the edge of lily pads and if its 8 feet deep then set up a slip bobber down 7 feet and your bait would be 1 feet off the bottom. Big bluegills near bottom at the edge of lily pads! Also try a long pole and tip your bait down into a small hole of lily pads! Other way is to fish section of lily pads that is closest to the deep water. It hold some big fish! I like to look for some weeds mixed with lily pads that would be good! Log, lily pads, some weeds and good depth all in one spot would be super spot. If you can find it then keep it yourself sercet spot! Hot spot! 6 lbs test line would be better that you able to pull big bluegill out of the heavy lily pads!

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
13 minutes ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
14 minutes ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
37 minutes ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
38 minutes ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
38 minutes ago
38 minutes ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
19 hours ago
John Sheehan posted photos
22 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service