Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

I purchased a 6' Fenwick flyrod on Ebay. I enjoy it more than my new Fenwick 7'6" 4 weight graphite. I don't know if it is a geniue Fenwick as the only decal it has on it is the Fenwick Logo. The first 6' Fenwick I owned was about 50 years ago and this is diffiently different. I have a 5 weight line on it and it casts very well. It has a double side by side hook holder which I do not remember the original having. I am happy with the one I have, but wonder what others think about the glass vs graphite. Glass is heavier, but glass seems more sensitive to me. It's still in the 80's in Florida not much luck from shore for BG. Thanks for some feedback Bob

Views: 325

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for your reply. You were most helpful in finding this rod. No regrets on purchasing the glass rod. Bob
I have no way of knowing the model as the only markings on the rod is the Fenwick Logo. The guides, handle and wrapping looks like my old Fenwick. My fishing buddy also likes the 6' rod, his first experience with glass. I would like to see some other rods and see if I could I D the model. Just curious. Bob
Fenwick also sells blanks, or at least they used to. I put together several spinning and trolling rods back in the '80s and some of them were on Fenwick blanks. Could it be that your's is a custom?

Be patient just a little longer on the temps, Bob. It is predicted to get down to 49 over here in the Tallahassee area tonite, and it's headed your way. ;-)
I don't know a thing about fly rods, but I've heard that graphite is a lot more dangerous around lightening than glass, whether a fishing rod or golf club.
my grandpa used to have a fiberglass rod. About last year he gave it away with everything else fishing he had. if he knew i liked to fish i woulve asked him if i could have it. at the time i didnt like fishing because i had never cought anything. the very first thing i cought was bluegill and i realy liked the collor thats how i got started. oh well. But i've never heard of a graphite rod.
Dale there are many folks on this forum that much more knowlege than I. I fish more than most, but have never really looked into the materials that can be made into rods. Fiberglass rods were really the most popular in the 50's and 60's when I learned to fly fish. Then they came with Graphite later I had a couple of them, but had little luck as they had a tendency to shatter. MY understanding is both of these rods are a composite of materials. Graphite is used most often by the rod manufacturers now. The material is better today by far. Graphite is lighter and more flexible than fiberglass. My personnal taste is for fiberglass, while it is heavier, to me, I have better feel, however Fly Rod D is correct in his post, it depends on the manufacturer. There are good rods out there in both materials. You have to be more knowlegible than me to tell you whats best. I just know what I like. Good Luck Bob.
being a fly fisherman for the past 50+ yrs i have fished many rods but i still love the old glass rods,i load them up with over weight line and find that they will fish with the best of them.
let me quantify that statement,i fish timber and roll cast almost exclusively ,these old glass rods can take a beating under limbs exc,i would never take one of my nice graphite rods into the thickets to fish.

gators bite
Hey Shooter glad to hear of your experience with fishing heavy cover and how a glass rod can take the punishment. Sounds like a fun way to fish. I never thought about a heavier line roll casting better, but it makes sense. Bob
My choice is the lighter graphite rod. An 8' with a manual reel to keep the weight down. After casting most of the day with the lighter rod and reel my shouder doesn't hurt as much.
Doug glad you know what you like. Stick with it. No question graphite is lighter, isn't it great to have a choice. I still like the older glass Fenwicks better than the newer graphite ones, in fact I just bought another one on ebay. There is more feel to glass making it more pleasant to me. Glad for your input. Bob
Bob may be if I had a quailty glass rod to use I might have a different opinion. Sounds like some has cornered the market on good glass rods on e-bay allready. We may not all choose the "how to" the same but we do agree to fish. I do like using my fly pole.

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
8 hours ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
8 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
8 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
8 hours ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
8 hours ago
8 hours ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
yesterday
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service