Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Lets hear it BBG members...Whats your favorite jigs to use for bluegill?

Views: 3709

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

'Jesse' Jig .My pet African Grey's  red tail feather .Just a bit of Red tail feather on a 24th oz Jig .

One of favorite commercial Jigs is the Mister Twister ,'Lightning Bug'. Blue for clear water  or  Chartreuse for stained water  .

awsome jig john.now that is using your resources

I tend to use, for most situations, hair jigs that I tie myself for different reasons. One...I just get a kick out of catching fish on my own creations and two...most of the standard jig companies just don't have the colors/patterns and sizes that I like.

I do a lot of fishing with 1/64th and 1/32nd oz grass shrimp patterned jigs that I tie in pink, beige, tan, silver and sometimes with similar colored jigs of the 'auto' pattern that has been popularized by LedHed on this site. Those southern Cal anglers are masters at jig tying, and very original in patterns. I also like the filament, or rubber-legged jigs in 1/64th oz, with either red, black or brown legs...very good in cold water...55 and lower, conditions.

I also tip my jigs about 75% of the time. When a hot bite for crappie or perch is on, tipping may not be neccessary. Worm pieces, wax worms or maggots are good. Dixie anglers prefer crickets.

I am also fond of the shad dart style heads like the Trout Magnets in 1/64 and 1/32 oz...a standard in the Mid Atlantic region since the early 1950's. I buy them in bulk at fishing shows regionally and then paint them myself...lots cheaper than the T M's.

I am with is Jim on this one. I too tie most all my gill jigs, and use a lot of deer tail hair on them in various colors. My go to jig is a 1/64th  to 1/80oz. all black jig, although I do tie lots of other colors, and use them as the bite and conditions that day dictate. Sometimes I tip my tiny offerings with a wax worm or wiggler. I think the contrast between a black jig, and a cream colored wax worm helps at times. 

HEY JIM , if you could only use two jigs , not counting other stuff which  would you use and could you post a pic. I'm sure everyone besides me what like to see that pic. JUST TWO NOW AND this doesn't include other stuff ya use , only jigs please and thanks from all of us........

Tooty...sorry I'm late in getting back with this.

My two favorite, under the majority of circumstances, would be the 1/32 oz Pink Thing and the 1/32 oz Grass Shrimp in either olive or tan.

When the crappie are hot, the PT will do fine without bait tipping. When the bite gets tough I'll tip with a piece of garden worm, wax worm or a small minnow. Maggots too, especially in the colder water.

I almost always tip the grass shrimp jigs, year round. Everything hits these, even where grass shrimp don't exist, they still catch a lot of fish. Maybe it's the bait tipping, but I do know that in almost all of my fishing tipped jigs outfish either bait or jigs on their own.

Like I said...there are exceptions, and sometimes some drab or goofy off-beat color will slay them for a day or two until they get their wits back.

NO PROBLEMO JIM FOR SURE. I really wanted to pic you brain mostly for colors . You really answered my question well with dynamite pics as usual and like aaaaaaaaaaaall of your jigs no matter the name or size. Simplicity seems to be a goal of yours , almost to Tony's point of minimalist approach.
  I've experienced more than once what works or is hot today is generally different in a day or two , on the same body of water, same temps, same wind and sun. Don't know the answer to that equation but if I did I'd be very wealthy . Then I would buy a place out by you and Jeffrey and really learn something !!!!
   I'll post my two favorite bugs , and guess you could call em that . Don't really make jigs but try to keep the fall rate down . If they had a solid head instead of hollow I spose they could be called jigs.

The purple bead head I"ve been using for the last 30+ years , the one with the legs, and then the Jeffrey named Silent Stingers , that I"ve been making for about 10-12 years . I've caught more fish on those two colors and baits than all the rest combined...........

Attachments:

Here are a couple pics of my favorite jigs...

These are my 'Pink Thing' patterns, from the top, 1/64th, 1/32nd and a 1/16 oz versions.

Above, the top two are 1/32 oz football head hackle jigs with filament tails...a 'hybrid' jig, if you will. The one on the bottom is a chartreuse 'Auto'...thanks, LedHed.

Here we have simple but effective grass shrimp ties in popular colors...some of Jeff Abney's favorites.

And lastly, we have a couple 1/32nd oz filament, or rubber-legged, jigs and the ever popular pink shrimp pattern that gets 'em in Dixie and beyond.

I'll admit that I am not a purist, as I tip jigs 75% of the time. I feel that the combination of the two far outfishes either one on their own, under most fishing circumstances. There are exceptions.

Occasionally, I'll get an oddball jig that is really hot that particular day, and I don't know why that is. I prefer 1/32 or 1/64th oz jigs year round, with the smaller, and even 1/80th oz, as better producers in the cold water periods of 50 degrees and lower.

Jim, I really like these jigs, especially the "pink thing" version.  I have a couple questions:

1)  What kind of head are you using?  A plain ball-head jig, without a collar?  Or some store-bought, painted, jigheads that have a keeper barb for soft-plastic?

2)  is that tail material bucktail or craft fur?

Thanks Allen. I almost always use a plain ball-head jig without the collar and build if I have to with thread.I buy them painted and unpainted, but for the PT's, I like to buy painted jigheads, usually getting them in bulk from different fishing shows and shops throughout the region.

The tail material is both craft fur and bucktail. I usually only use buck tail on the larger 1/16th oz version and craft hair on 1/32 and smaller...but I have made some exceptions at times, depending on how much material I have on hand.

I made a couple of the double tailed jigs awhile back and haven't had a chance to try them Jim if you would keep me informed as to how the preform I think they should do good with the tail action.

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
17 hours ago
John Sheehan posted photos
20 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's status
"An Instrumental Guitar recording of mine to commemorate. …"
Sunday
John Sheehan posted a status
"Trout Season opens April 6th in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for stocking."
Sunday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Plastic Worm varieties in the group Lure History
"My favorites through the Years: Manns Jelly Worm, Manns Auger tail, Charlie Brewers 4" on a…"
Sunday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Plastic Worm varieties in the group Lure History
Sunday
Sunday
Troy Dorman commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

"Thank you, Jeffrey!"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service