Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

I saw some fake crickets at the store and thought about getting some has anyone ever used fake crickets? And if so how well do they work

Views: 4404

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have never fished with 'FAKE' crickets... However... One day when I just had to get out on the water... the only bait I could find was dead crickets... (I hadn't put enough water in the tank)... Went fishing anyway and I couldn't go wrong... as soon as the bait hit the water "Fish on"... of course this could have been one of those 'lucky' days... but succinctly put... "The only thing better than a live cricket is... a dead one... the only thing better than a dead one ... is a 'Fake' one...

Tight Lines

Rob
"The only thing better than a live cricket is... a dead one... the only thing better than a dead one ... is a 'Fake' one..."

Wish I'd a said that, except I ain't too sure about the fake one. I've had one for years in my tackle box. Never ran out of live or dead crickets so it just sits there. It looks pretty realistic. Lots more realistic than those pieces that are left after I land one on what was a live cricket. If the piece left is big enough, I'll put it back out there, and catch another on it usually. Poor ole fake cricket just sits there waiting for it's chance. It's at least twenty years old and never been wet! But it looks good! I guess there are fishermen out there who either can't get real crickets, or choose the challenge or convenience of artificials. I feel sorry for those who can't get 'em. I wish I had the determination and drive of those who choose artificials. As for me, I will give up my live crickets when...when...when. Forget it fake cricket, you ain't gettin' wet yet!

Boogieman

P.S. I might try one of Greg McWilliams fake Pink ones with the Betty Grable legs, If I get my hands on one and get bored or feel frisky!
Boogie, I would be glad to send you one, I you don't use it it can keep your fake one companyin the box.
ONE!!!!!! I thought you understood crickets come by the 100ct. Just kidding. You got to finish perfecting it and actually catch BIG bluegills on it first don't you? I only want one that worked. Used is the rule! Tore up by BIG Bluegill is the one I want.

Boogieman
Since we don't have brown (pink) crickets here in this part of Oklahoma, I've tied up some black sinking crickets. Sure hope these things work as well as you all say they well. Now if we'd just get some warmer weather and get the gill to movin so I can try my cricket out.
Jen, You are so right never seen a brown cricket cept'n in pictures, and they were posed at that!!! But Boogie, all kidding aside I am working on a cricket complete with pink Betty Grable legs. If the fake cricket has been in that box for 20 yrs. or more I am sure It Would love the company of a "SWEET YOUNG PINK THING". Sounds like it wants a harem.LOL

This REAL cricket ranch is just across the Florida line about 20 miles from me. This is their #2 location by the sign. Why would they have a #2 if #1 was enough? OH! Needed more ranch land! Ya'll need to go in the cricket ranch business. You could corner the market up there!
I tried some plastic crickets once and they did not work at all. I have better luck on dead crickets than the plastics.
The plastic crickets may look ok but they can't smell right! Haven't you noticed the oder that those things give off? Now if they bottle that smell Hmmmm.
You sayin' my live crickets stink Tom? I got a hundred in the truck cab tonight. I'm sure I'll notice a slight odor from the group of them about 3 AM when I head out. When I get on the water, I'm gonna sniff 'em one at the time and see if they have an odor as individuals. Then I'm gonna sniff my 20 year old FAKE cricket and compare. One of the best reasons for using crickets is your hands stay pretty clean. Of course, they say maggots are actually clean too!. You keep THEM in sealed containers to keep the CLEAN smell in!

Boogieman
OK, got an experiment idea for ya :-)

Take that lonely plastic cricket from your tackle box and stick it in the bucket with the live crickets for a day or two and let the live cricket smell get all over it real good. Then let the poor thing get wet and see if it can catch a 'gill :-)

Jonathan
Hey, I like that idea, may have to give it a try. I have a couple pretty nice looking rubber crickets I got last year at Gander mountain, got live crickets in the garage too, long as the live crickets don't eat rubber, already know they eat foam.

RSS

Latest Activity

Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
10 minutes ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
10 minutes ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
11 minutes ago
11 minutes ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
18 hours ago
John Sheehan posted photos
21 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's status
"An Instrumental Guitar recording of mine to commemorate. …"
Sunday
John Sheehan posted a status
"Trout Season opens April 6th in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for stocking."
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service