Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Since there is a forum for the biggest BG that got away, I thought I would start one for the smallest. Today, after dragging a good fighter through the debris on the edge of the pond, I finally got it up above the water. It was about 1" long if you include the tail. It was even smaller than the fry we stocked about 6 weeks ago. It also dropped off the hook as I was staring at it. Lets see who can top that!

Views: 601

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

LOL! I need to take a picture the next time I catch a tiny one! I think the smallest one I've ever caught would have been about 3 inches, so you've got ME beat! :-)
Careful with those tiny one pictures! They will haunt you!
My son caught a 2 incher over the summer. Funny story, he screwed up his cast so he was just reeling it back in to recast and when he got the hook out of the water it had this little guy on it. :D
This is cool because at the annual Piney Run Panfish Derby I have always included a 'smallest bluegill' catagory and the smallest gill gets a box of jigs or tackle. By actual measurement as the weighmaster of the event, I believe that the smallest I have ever put to the tape was 1- 1/16 th of an inch. Check that out on a ruler and that is pretty small...literally just out of the yoke sac!
Well Sharon, now that you've gone and let that butterbean learn that he CAN get off that hook by himself, he's probably going to be stealing your bait for the rest of his life!!!!!! You should have grabbed him and strung him up. Then you could write a country song about him. "Just a string of butterbeans".

Boogieman
Just a string of butterbeans, that I pulled up through the greens. la la......
Okay Sharon, there you go, now you're getting in the flow.
With that string of butterbeans, that you pulled up through the greens.
Oh how far now will you go. Tell me girl I've got to know.
Will you teach us how to sing, about our strings of butterbeans?
I can teach you how to sing, but can't teach you how to string,
I can teach you how to wish, but can't teach you how to fish.
Oh, the distance I would go, just to catch a fish to show,
in the space next to my name, there would be a fish to frame.
You Go Girl!
Maybe about 6 years ago up in saginaw michigan my younger brothers and my pops were fishing for catfish on a boat. My brother always like to use worms even though they would always catch the smaller cats. Well one day he cast out and his pole doubled over and he snatched fighting like he had a monster cat on whining his arms were hurting him. Well he finally got the fish up to the boat and he brought about a 2 to 3 inch bluegill. We teased him the whole day talking about the monster he had. We knew what had happened but we just had to much fun teasing him so havent we havent told him to this day.
the smallest one i cought was about 3 1/4" long
So far, I'm still winning!!!!!

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
14 hours ago
John Sheehan posted photos
17 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's status
"An Instrumental Guitar recording of mine to commemorate. …"
Sunday
John Sheehan posted a status
"Trout Season opens April 6th in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for stocking."
Sunday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Plastic Worm varieties in the group Lure History
"My favorites through the Years: Manns Jelly Worm, Manns Auger tail, Charlie Brewers 4" on a…"
Sunday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Plastic Worm varieties in the group Lure History
Sunday
Sunday
Troy Dorman commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

"Thank you, Jeffrey!"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service