Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

All BBG members:

We are organizing a donation drive for one of our new members, Mathew Blakeway. He is a hardworking young man, although like all farmers he is strapped for cash. As it turns out, he was given a VERY basic fly fishing outfit, and has taken to the sport like a duck to water. He is one of us, folks, a proud new member of the Fishing Family.

There is one problem, however, which he cannot overcome: Mathew lives in a very rural section of SOUTH AFRICA. There are absolutely NO opportunities for him to add to his fly fishing equipment.

He currently has a 6/7 wt. rod, some worn line and about 8 ragged, tattered flies - and that is it! At his current rate of usage, the flies probably wont last the season. He doesn't lack the will, friends; he lacks the means.

So we are trying to organize a small "Goody Drive" for him. I've packed up some flies to send - they should go out next week. That is PHASE ONE.

Carl Hendrix is gathering some tools and other useful items from his stash, to begin PHASE TWO. After talking to Mathew, here are the things most needed, in order of priority:

1. BLUEGILL and LARGE MOUTH BASS flies

Brim flies, nymphs, small streamers, soft hackles, Wooly Buggers, small poppers and popping bugs - that sort of thing is needed

2. Spare 6/7 wt. WF line

3. Hook hone

4. Hook remover

5. Neck lanyard and/or retracts for tools

Optional items:

6. Furled and/or tapered leaders in bluegill/bass sizes.

NOTES: Through a weird twist of fate, large mouth bass and bluegill were widely distributed in South Africa in the 1930's. First came the large mouth bass, then bluegill were imported to feed them. In fact, South Africa's conservation folks now consider bluegill to be invasive. And, unlike here in the U.S., virtually no other native fish exist there! Bass and bluegill are about it!!

(Mathew occasionally has opportunity to fly fish for the only native South African sport fish, a species of barb called, "Yellowfish." They are distant cousins of our carp. They are found in only a few rivers, pretty far from his home. However, he can get to them once or twice a year.

While in the same family as carp, the yellowfish are predatory in habit. They live in deep holes and pools and feed on invertebrates, crustaceans and small fish. They can grow to pretty impressive proportions - imagine a cross between a small mouth and a carnivorous carp and you get the idea. If you have any deep patterns common to smallmouth bass, your donation of these would be greatly appreciated.)

Shipping to SA is not cheap, so the list is restricted to small and LIGHTWEIGHT items. Carl and I will work out the shipping between us. We are just requesting whatever you can spare from the list above... anything YOU wish YOU had were there no chance of restocking your fly fishing gear.

Send all donations to:

Carl Hendrix

525 Autumndale Drive

Gallatin, TN 37066

Remember, BASS (large and small mouth) and BLUEGILL flies! We are shooting for a donation deadline of February 7, so send your goodies SOON. And thanks in advance!

Views: 2082

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Id like to apologize for being so late. I could say I planned it that way from the beginning, to give everyone else a chance. But I won't - I was slack and forgot!

But I echo Carls' thoughts; the generosity shown by the group is epic. I tip my hat to each and every one of you.

I know Mathew will be overwhelmed, in every sens of the word.

Thanks again, BBG!

If ya'll do another donation I'll toss in also, I havent been on BBG in a while & totally missed out sorry guys.

I have some new Scientific Angler line still in the box that I had stashed away & just found a couple weeks ago, a 6 & 7 wt line, wtf floating, I was gonna put them up on a local site for free if anyone would pay shipping but never got around to it, if ya'll can use it just say the word.

All appologies.

Well I can use that line!

Mathew is technically restricted to only two UNSOLICITED gifts per year by
RSA postal regulations. This means another package could be sent.
However, we also learned there are value restrictions. 400SAR (about $40USD) is the specified limit before duties have to be paid by the recipient.
Therefore, we are treating this as a gift of handmade and used items, of a value not to exceed that VAT limit. We removed all packaging, for example, so items are no longer new.
There may be another package, although I rather doubt Mathew is going to much else for some time to come! The response was that good.
Your desire to help is appreciated, so please take that to heart. Let us see how things work out when the current package is sent and he inventories everything. Deal?

Gotcha, really hate I missed out on a chance to help a brother out, the cultural exchange stuff is what I really dig about play'n on the web.

One of the first interactions I had when I got my new "puter" was with a gent somewhere in Africa, we sent several messages back & forth over a week, I'm think'n heres some hill billy from a place called Dog Town Tennessee conversing with a guy somewhere in Africa, blew me away.

Yeah the internet has opened up many doors.

That's the truth!  I've got a few friends in Australia, one somewhere in Malaysia, Mathew in SA, and a few in England/Europe.

I also agree with the "cultural exchange" concept.  Once you get used to the slang terms used in other countries, you really start coming across some good ideas.  You should see some the rigs I've seen that folks use to fish for Wels catfish.....

Well, you can tell who ever , what I sent him was Free !!!!  LOFR

Is the young man from SA a patron to BBG ?? how did he come into contact with the powers that be ?/

Just curious, of course with the WWW anyone can meet anyone, be cool to see what he catches from his local water.

He IS a member at BBG, and he catches mostly bluegill. Bass also are found there.
In a weird twist, bass were imported into RSA in the early 30's... And the bluegill came a few years later to feed the bass.
Aside from a very few native species, these are about all there is to catch in the freshwater ponds of the Eastern Cape where he lives.
In a further odd twist, Mathew was given a vintage fly rod and a few raggedy flies awhile back... Which he is fast wearing out. And he can get little else in the way of replacement flies and fly gear.
Thus, OPERATION BLAKEWAY(his last name) was begun.

ok guys-- I just put Mathew;s package in the mail!!   according to the post office- it should take 2 to 3  weeks for him to receive it.  and a big thanks to everybody who has donated!!  the package weighted almost 5 pounds; and cost $60.90 to send.  would any body care to help with the expense??

Do you use paypal?
Money order?

david  just use a money order or a check -- I don't have a paypal account

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
10 hours ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
10 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
10 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
10 hours ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
10 hours ago
10 hours ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
yesterday
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
Tuesday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
Tuesday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service