Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Does anyone here remember a jig called a Crappie Killer? It was a all white jig, and I think it was made with deer hair.It didn't look like a regular bucktail, as the hair was cut so to almost be stiff. The lead on the head was half moon shaped.  I fished these as a kid in the early 60's, and wonder if anyone knows if they are still made, and what company made them. 

Views: 4464

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i dont know who made them vince; but i use to use them all the time! it was called a doll fly; it had red string wraping the hair;; i used it with a bobber ; back in the 50;s and 60;s.  yea guys; im a old ---  any way it did use to actually kill the crappies! throw it out and a slow retreive; its all you had to do!  i didnt think any body remembered  a old bait like that!

I did a quick google search and found this.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/node/1001308169

mike; thanks buddy!  i didnt think any  body but me remembered that old jig!  never knew who made it or what it was made of;; just knew it caught crappie by the tons!  it out fished minnows most of the time!  then again;; guess im telling how old i am to; lol!!

I remember those old Doll Fly jigs very well.  It was the first jig my Uncle bought me at the Western Auto Store.  I've always wanted more but now I've tied my own.  got lucky earlier this year and it took paperwork but I got a bunch of Polar Bear and tied up some Doll Fly style. 

I remember them.  I believe the hair was actually kip (calf) tail.  The hair and flat head cupped head slowed the fall.  They worked great on crappie.  I have not been able to find them so I make an imitation that works.  I use a 'wobble" jig out of a

Do-It mold.  You can get the heads from Cabela and on e-bay.  I like a pink head with white or yellow kip tail and a glow yellow chartruse head with either of these two colors.  I recently picked up some purple and pink kip tail that I'll try.

The Doll fly (at least those that I owned) had a ball head and was tied with maribu.  It sank faster and worked great on river walleye.

That's the one Badgerloader! We use to catch a LOT of crappies on them. Do you have any pics of the ones you tie? I would love to see them if you do.

Vince:  It is around 0 degrees outside.  My stuff is stored in an unheated garage.  At present, I prefer to remain inside and drink hot coffee and sip adult beverages.  I will get a picture in the near future. 

You can look for a wobble jig picture on e-bay or the cabels website.  A company called Haggerty Lures sells some bucktail wobble jigs.  I tried attaching a picture.

Attachments:

I would be burrowed under every blanket I owned if it was zero degrees here. I don't blame you a bit for not venturing out to your garage to find those crappie killers. Thanks for the pic of the wobble head jigs. 

hope the picture helps

Yup I remember em well there Loader. Betts maybe made em back in the 60's I believe or Weber out of Stevens Point Wisconsin. Guess you Northerners may have had a touch of snow hey buddy!!!!! I do the same in the winter as you and don't like Hard water fishing so relegated to the tying bench and recliner!!!!!!!

VINCE I RUN ACROSS THOSE Killers occaisonally here and if I find some will send em your way. I remember em well..

VINCE come to think of it I still have a few laying around down in the shop and will look and post a pic if I can find one in the mess down there!!! The hook shanks were kind of curved and rode hook up in the water if I recall....

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
7 hours ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
7 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
7 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
7 hours ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
7 hours ago
7 hours ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
yesterday
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service