Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

can anyone suggest some effective cranbaits for gills?   i've a few but am not familiar with all the newer stuff on the market.  i'm well stocked with the smallest rapalas and some crawdad patterns.  thanks.

Views: 2221

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

rich; these are but a few of the ones I use for bluegill;; all proven catchers !!  I also changed the rear treble hooks; for a single hook;; makes for easier un-hooking;;;;  also;; on the main page; Jim Gronaw tells of a tail gunner tactic by using a -- behind the crankbait offering;;  its deadly to !!   hope this helps some buddy !

Wow ,quite an arsenal Carl!! There's also a teeny torpedo prop bait ( Not really a crank bait) and snap Beans that are good sized .If you can suspend a tiny crankbait with a bit of split shot and work it slow its a great panfish technique when they are active .

thanks John;; thing is;; I couldnt get all of my blue gill crank baits into one pix; for clarity;; and;; I have always been one for going a trifle-- overboard; getting fishing stuff;; LOL.  I always get ; 2 or 3 of the same crankbaits-- that WORK !!    because sooner or later; your going to loose one !

Yo Zuri Pin Minnow with a chain dropper tipped with a GULP Pink Waxie

Rapala mini cranks, yozuri snap beans ( if u can find em ) there is a good replica of them available on eBay you can get ten for eight bucks and they are beautifully made, in China obviously ..rebel and strike king make some effective crank baits for bluegills good luck.

I use the Strike King Bitsy Minnow in all colors but solid white and fire tiger seem to work best for me. I also like the Arkie Crappie Crank and the Rebel Teeny Craw is one of my favorites. I hope this helps Rich.

The smallest bomber fat a. Eighth oz, 1.5 inches long with #10 trebles works great for me. Retrieve slow so it acts like a wake bait. Bluegills won't be the only species you hook.

I'll have to try that one if I can find one. What color do you catch them on? I have caught plenty crappie and bass on mini cranks. I have lost a few really big largemouth that spit the tiny hooks or break off.

Been try'n to find some gill sized crank baits also, stumbled across a write up on the snap beans, never heard of them untill then, done a google and found some on ebay, may have to get a few before spring gets here.

Fire tiger and craw, but think just about any color will work. Majority of strikes from 'gills will happen during a pause.

Johnny;; just for thought;; trout magnate  also makes some good crankbaits; skinny; a bit long; look like rainbow trout;; but still excellent crankbaits for blue gills.  and dont forget about Jim Gronaws tactic; of tail gunning blue gills !!  tie a nymp type fly onto the rear of a crank bait;; work it slow ;; its deadly !!

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
8 hours ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
8 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
8 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
8 hours ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
8 hours ago
8 hours ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
yesterday
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service