Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Has anyone used a "Circle hook" for Bluegill?  I bought some black finished size 10 Eagle Claw Lazer Sharp Circle hooks to try on Bluegill.  Supposedly you don't need to set the hook with your rod when you get a bite, just start reeling in the fish.  And supposedly, the fish are never hooked deep in their throats, but in the corner of their mouths, making it easier for catch and release.   I'm going out to Lake Perris in the morning to give them a try so I'll post my hook test tomorrow...

Views: 11672

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sounds interest'n, keep us informed, as samll as a bluegill mouth is if it actually keps them from absolutely swallow'n teh hook it could be a handy piece of equipment.
Than the only hook I use when fishing for pan fish. It is great for the grandkids too when they're fishing.
I tried a circle hook with the eye bent from the shank like an octopus hook and had several gut hooked fish. This year I picked up some straight shank circle hooks to see if I have better luck.

Jeff,

I haven't used them for Bluegills, but use them regularly for Hybrid Striped Bass and Catfish. They work great for those species. You do not need to set the hook....only reel when you feel tension, and they do wrap around and hook them in the inside corners of the mouth. Makes for a easy catch and release. Have never gut hooked a fish with them yet...

I like the Owner "Mutu" circle hooks. Use them when saltwater fishing too.

I have also tried them for bluegill. I found the fish swallow them just as easily as regular hooks. The problem then is they are so short shanked, that they are impossible to remove. I went back to either long shank hooks, or the little colorful fly fishing hooks. I like those best, the fish don't seem to want to swallow the brisily little fly and they don't have barbs, so they are easier to remove.

SO Sharon, you use regular flies as hooks? I thought that was something only I've tried! LOL

What type of fly do you like?

The brightly colored ones.
OK  I just got back from trying the "circle hooks" on some big Bluegill and Redears and you know what?.... I love these hooks!  My buddy and I caught over 30 fish and NOT ONE SINGLE FISH swallowed the hook!  Every fish was hooked in the corner or top lips of their mouths and were very easy to unhook.  The only problem that we had was putting a cricket on the hook because the point is curled way around.  Also I said in my original post that I had # 10 hooks, but they are actually # 8s.  Even the few little sunfish we caught had no trouble getting hooked.  Now I'm going to go buy a several packs of these cool hooks!

Okay, so crickets are kinda iffy with the circle hooks... good to know. Im guessing, then, that worms and others squirmies are okay.

Is there a circle hook that has an extended shank?

DUDE JEFF, I thought i was the only 1 who uses circle hooks, and yes size 10 I found is the perfect size, fits right in there mouth, upper lip and no setting the hook. I love them so much I do not use anything else, another thing I've been trying to do is encourage our other bluegill anglers to try them, they won't be sorry, I'm confident they should work for you.

I have never seen anyone in our competitions use these, but then again, we don't let the gill have the bait long enough for the circle hook to do its thing. 

I thought its design was to allow the angler longer time to react and set the hook so that the hook slid free of the gut.

Johnny... If I was competing, these are the hooks I would use, no doubt about it.  The Bluegills/Redears suck the whole cricket in, you feel the strike and then you pull and start winding them in.  There's no pause or waiting for the fish to have the bait well in their mouths.

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
53 minutes ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
54 minutes ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
1 hour ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
1 hour ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
1 hour ago
1 hour ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
20 hours ago
John Sheehan posted photos
22 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service