Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Are the cheap shakespeare fly rod kits they sale at walmart ok to learn on? I think they are big water fly rods. Do not want to spend alot, on something I might break over my knee

Views: 1621

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I never saw a Fly rod kit at Wal-Mart before but Dick's usually have them. $60.00. It's made by Plueger Fly Kit. I don't know if it's any good but it's cheap

Thanks Angelo, Wal-mart around here has both shakespeare and Plueger, both in kit form

It's better off getting it at Wal-Mart than cause you aren't able to cast just return it and it your $$$$ back. Make sure it's a slow or medium action good for beginner's.  Watching youtube video's on casting helped me out, but it took me a while before I learned how to cast with no error's. 

Thanks again. I have been watching vids. Tried once before, but was before internet. Now I have a false sense of ability.

No problem, Good luck!

I've been thinking about making this plunge as well.  When I was a kid, I bought a cheap fly reel and some line, and slapped that thing onto a 6' spinning rod that I had laying around.  My buddies thought I was nuts (probably correctly, as well), but I could actually catch fish with it.

Having a fighting fish on one end of your line and your line in your hand feeling every twitch of the fish and your other hand using holding the rod like a baton  and leading the fish through every jump and swirl is an experience  I think everyone should try in their lives, and the sooner the better. You just dont get the same sensation cranking  a reel.  Flyrods dont have to be expensive to have fun with , so get started  and have fun.         LOFR

That is where I got my first one. Check Cabelas and Bass pro they both have kits for beginners resonable!!!!!!!

i typed in fly fishing on youtube, and this is pretty incredible http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IflkFD25nD4  carp fly fishing

I've watched that video sevral times, love it, to watch him fish is like watching art in the making, wish I was as fluid with a fly rod.

HEY DWAYNE,

YOU are headed in the right direction and I know you have big knees so you could break several before you get the hang of it!! Keep it simple and don't get frustrated and give up. Everyone ties wind knots in their leaders, get caught in trees on the back cast, and slap the water hard once in a while.
   Learn the basic stuff first and practice casting in the yard and you'll do just fine . ANY PROBLEMS, YOU HAVE MY NUMBER and don't hesitate calling . It is one of the most satisfying forms of fishing there is . When I'm casting to a bunch of spawning gills not much else is on my mind and forget about all sorts of bad stuff in the world and on the Tube. It takes you to another place and when you get it right , IT'S MAGIC!

I tend to agree with you Dwayne; Walmart offers both Shakepeare and Pflueger... and both are invariably a bit heavy if you ask me. They do come as a complete kit, so that is good.

- The included line is floating, weight forward, tapered which is acceptable.

- The reel is a basic plastic manual model, which is fine, too.

- These kits are complete, with everything needed to cast the included flies. Even pre-tied tippets are in there! There isn't much ELSE, however, so plan ahead.

The rods are the rub for me. They are 8', 3 piece, 5/6 wt..... which is not where I would like to go.

These are considered standard, middle-weight set-ups. I get that.

I would prefer a 2-4 wt., slow-action rod for panfish, though. The problem is this is purist stuff, so it's outside the envelope for most fly-fishing newcomers.

I say pony up and use it. Here's why.

There is one OTHER thing worth considering with these:

You can turn most any fly rod into a spin-casting rod. Many makers, including Shakespeare and South Bend, even sell a combo fly/spin set ups. While die-hard fly men will gag at this idea, by attaching a spinning reel with electrical tape or zip-ties, you can create a long cast, long reach panfish rod.

It would be best to stay with ultra light reels, as the limp lines tend to hang up in the narrow guides on fly rods. Im thinking a decent under-spin, trigger actuated reel, here. Coupled with some of the thin 2-4 lb test mono/fluorocarbon line, it should slide on through well enough.....

This is something I haven't tried yet, but am eager to. Right now I'm focused on moving house, and not on fishing stuff. But once I get resettled, this is gonna happen.

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
4 hours ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
4 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
5 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
5 hours ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
5 hours ago
5 hours ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
23 hours ago
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service