Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Do any of you cast small jigs?
1/64 and 1/32 with no float.. I really like casting jigs and fishing with no float. And slowly working them back. I make my own hair jigs and they fall so nice and slowly. I just lift n let them fall again.

Just wish I could get more distance. Without having to use a really long rod.

What should I be expecting casting distance wise? I'm using a daiwa presso 6.5ft rod and 4lb mono line. I would like to use some 2lb line but I just don't know if I can bring myself to do it.

The rod is new one to me and I really like it so far. Thanks

Views: 7692

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You will increase your distance if you switch to 2lb.

The Japanese make some amazing rods to cast UL jigs. Mebaru or Aji style rods are super light and made for jig fishing. Hard to find on the American market.

LOLOLOL;;  SMOLTZ;;  BESIDES MASTER LEDHEAD;; MAKING HIS OWN JIGS ; AND CASTING THEM;; ALSO;; THERE IS;; MARK STEIN;; ALLEN MORGAN;;  DICK TABBERT;; JIM COSGROVE;; AND SO MANY OTHERS !!   WITH LEDHEAD;; BEING A MASTER AT THE  ( MICRO ) JIGS !!!!

Okay,
Well hopefully those guys will chime in and answer my question.

Yes with 2 and 4 # test respectively. They catch lots of fish for me .Red Breasted Sunfish ,Blue Gills , Pumpkinseeds, White Perch and Yellow Perch and Crappie in particular .I am not fishing ultra clear water and feel i can cast far enough for the waters i'm fishing.

I've specialized in fishing 1/28 oz, 1/32, and even 1/64 oz homemade jigs (surefirejigs.com) for years now, as has my son and grandson. Of course, bluegill, crappies, trout, and bass love this approach! We all use 4 1/2 to 5' light rods and very thin Tectan mono in 4.4 and 5.5 # tests. Casting length is always quite satisfactory, tho obviously not horizon reaching!Due to commercial push toward long, extremely expensive, graphite rods, most of today's "experts" will disagree with our proven gear. But take a light jig and ,say, a 4 1/2 ' UL Ugly Stik and "punch it out",you'll reach plenty of water to work back a jig! By the way, I took my lead on this from the late,great Charlie Brewer, of slider fishing fame, who finally settled, after much on-the-water testing, on 4'9" light ,but firm, rods for fishing very light, cut down Slider jigs.

Hey John Mc Kean-. I ve been tying squirrel tail on my old Charlie Brewer slider jigs and catching Perch and Crappie .Do they still make those flat sided Slider Jigs ? Would like to get some more .They are a great design for cold water .

Hi John, Yes, The last I checked, the Charlie Brewer Slider company still offers ALL their slider head jigs (their 4'9" rods,too !). I'm like you - I used to tie material onto those slider heads, tho I used to employ the lighter "Crappie slider heads" for these small bucktail jigs. Funny story -Charlie himself loved the gliding action of light jigs and wanted to get others into this great light sport, so would convince friends & customers to cut the heads down to much lighter weights. Many were surprised with jig heads down less than 1/32 oz,they could still whip them out ,almost to their regular distances with short rods (at the time Charlie sold a 4'3" fiberglass beauty that was a joy to fish with! Wished I hadn't given mine away!!)

Thanks John ! Wish they made a 32nd oz. Original flat slider head jig .With maybe an 8 or 6 hook .Usually I resort to ball heads but the flat bottom slider  jigs I've done very well with .

I knew Charlie Sr. some 40 plus years ago. I stopped by his home in Lawrenceburg, TN on a Sunday afternoon, just like today. My oldest  son was still in diapers, so I can do the  math on how long ago it has been easily. We visited for a while then Charlie took me to "Elmer Brown's Rod Shop" and I almost positive on the shop's name. I purchased my first custom, glass slider rod. I used it for years. Back then I learned to build & tie my own rods too. I always made my spinning rods with the cork "Tennessee Handles". If I had the choice, I'd have those handles on all my spinning tackle today. The old school plain flat slider head is one that belongs in every ones tackle box. They are deadly little jigs. Also, the 1" crappie slider is a hard bait to beat for the GILLS.

in my experimentation there is a sweetspot in rod length between 5 and 5-6' that going longer actually hurts the cause.

I will have to try some of my shorter rods then.

I been tying for years n love my little hair jigs. Basically mini bucktail but with kiptail.

I just not sure I'm getting the distance I have read about guys on here casting jigs alone. Sure with a float you can
Cast a float n jig a heck of a ways.
What distance are you guys getting with 1/64 or 1/32 with no bait?

I/m not sure of the actual footage on my casts, tho when fishing alongside guys that are trout fishing with heavier spinners& spoons, I can almost acheive their distances with a 1/28 oz wool/pine squirrel tail jig (Banshee). Certainly, even with 1/64 oz bluegill jigs I can whip it far enough to allow a good sized "lane" to work it back. The key is to "muscle" the cast - back as a youth, we had spirited "apple battles" between us neighbor kids, where we'd affix an apple form trees on our yard onto a 3' willow stick and fling em between our properties. Amazing distances & impacts ( Believe me, I KNOW!). The casting motion with a short,especially fiberglass rod, with light jigs is the same principle. Mind you, this is not "artful" casting , as the guys with $800 graphite long rods will CLAIM, but it adds some ZEST, as well as results to your fishing!!

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
16 hours ago
John Sheehan posted photos
19 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's status
"An Instrumental Guitar recording of mine to commemorate. …"
Sunday
John Sheehan posted a status
"Trout Season opens April 6th in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for stocking."
Sunday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Plastic Worm varieties in the group Lure History
"My favorites through the Years: Manns Jelly Worm, Manns Auger tail, Charlie Brewers 4" on a…"
Sunday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Plastic Worm varieties in the group Lure History
Sunday
Sunday
Troy Dorman commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

"Thank you, Jeffrey!"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service