Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Has anyone made an electric drum scaler? Any pictures that you would be willing to share? I found one on Utube, but there wasn't much info given except that it spun 60 times per minute.

Views: 1202

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Suggestion though, those drum scaler tends to overly tenderize the meat. I rather do fillet method to preserve the firmness of the meat, after bleeding and chilling them before filleting.

At the risk of displaying my considerable ignorance, How does one bleed a bluegill?

There's no such thing is ignorance. Just misinformed, or lack of knowledge. If you want instant bleed out, go for the heart. One quick perpendicular cut (across the breast) just before the pectoral fins. You'll find that heart as the blood pours out (PG-13 version). Once the bleed out completely, which is within 15 minutes or so, cool the fish off in icy water to firm up the meat, retaining that firmness.

John, you got me thinking for the past few days, and now, I have to pull out fishing priest that I retired so long ago, after seeing the scaling drum and passive thinking about meat bruising, which dawned on me about the fishes thrashing around in a 5-gal bucket filled with aerated water before I could transfer them into the icy cooler.

Resuggestion:

1. Get yourself a club/priest, either homemade from hard wood (varnish many times over and smooth out to prevent any pore from absorbing the fishy scent), or a stainless steel rod with a bulky head to knock some senselessness into the fish.

2. After catching the fish, a quick blunt force to the noggin, just above the eye, will send the fish into a subdued state. I stopped doing this because my family said I was too mean to hurt the fishes after catching them. This is why I string them for the past 12 years.

3. Insert the knife through the gill, and cut the gillplates on either side. While the fish is unconscious, the heart is still pumping. Gillplates cutting will allow the heart to pump the large volume of blood out out of the body, before the heart doesn't have enough blood left to pump out. This will take about 2 minutes. This minimize the gamey taste of any fish, aside from the mud veins. The reason why I stop this practice because my family said it's too cruel to see a bleeding fish, and the blood create too much staining at the capture site, which other anglers were not too thrill about.

However, after years of enjoying my method of direct heart bleeding method which takes a bit longer, I'm going back to the noggin-gillplates cutting method for more subdued killing method, and immediately icing them. Now, looking for that homemade priest..good grief. I may have to invest in a few miniature bats instead.

Leo, Post a picture of a priest of your liking. I do wood turning and would love to make one for each of us.

John

John, that's very generous of you. I had an old one looks something like this, that was about 9" long, and about 1.5" in diameter. My friend, a tinkerer and a hobbyist, turned omy broken oak bed frame into quite a few different priest's length. I chose the 9" because it was convenient and compact to carry around with me. I have a few 6" to 10" stainless steel extensions for the ratchet socket wrench that I'm thinking of turning one of them into a blunt instrument of la-la land.

If you're a tinkerer, and a woodsmith, it would be great to buy a few from you if you make them. Your design style of course. Nothing like a personality being imbued into the piece of art.

Attachments:

Thanks, It is on the to do list.

Ah, I know those as shark bats, but I guess this is the mini-version :) I learned the term not from a fisherman, but from a friend of mine who was a Sheriff's reservist when we were young...

Here is mine that is 20+ years old. Started rusting so it looks bad but works like a charm. Will scale about 40 at a time in 7 minutes. Not a scale left on them & does not damage skin or meat. (I guess it would if you left them too long). I would like to know how many thousands this thing has scaled over the years. I believe it is 22 RPMs per minute. Anything faster or slower does not scale properly. Had a buddy build one like this & he had to adjust his RPMs to match this one to get it to scale correctly. Sprays water through the center of the drum while turning which washes most of the scales out the holes. Each hole was individually punched with hammer & punch. The jagged edges inside scale the fish as they pass by it. Motor has a gear reduction box attached to it.

Attachments:

More scaler photos.

Attachments:

Thanks for the pictures. I knew there had to be some out there. What is the length and diameter of the drum?

Which state is this scaler located?

Reggie

Circumference is 50 inches. Length is 24 inches. Located in central GA.

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
18 hours ago
John Sheehan posted photos
21 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's status
"An Instrumental Guitar recording of mine to commemorate. …"
Sunday
John Sheehan posted a status
"Trout Season opens April 6th in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for stocking."
Sunday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Plastic Worm varieties in the group Lure History
"My favorites through the Years: Manns Jelly Worm, Manns Auger tail, Charlie Brewers 4" on a…"
Sunday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Plastic Worm varieties in the group Lure History
Sunday
Sunday
Troy Dorman commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

"Thank you, Jeffrey!"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service