Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

I just recently purchased some berkley gulp white colored maggots from my local bait store to use for some panfishing and i was wondering if anyone has used this bait before and the type of success people have had on it

Views: 6908

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't go any where without a jar of Berkley gulp maggots.....it pays to have this option at hand when gills are finicky and require more than just plastic trailers.....a great option over live bait.

They work very well when fishing for Bluegills & Redear. I never fish them on a bare hook, but add them to my Horizontal and vertical jigs, when fished with or without plastics.

The Gulp Maggots add a scent to the jigs, that entices the fish to bite, when they might not under certain conditions. Like "Musky" said.

They also work well as a substitution for waxworms, when Ice Fishing. Had good success with them. 

Im kinda the spoiler here - Ive never had real success with the Gulp! Maggots. At least not on bream.

Shiners, on the other hand, love them. When a shoal of those silver-side bullets come tearing around, there is always a hook up on the maggot. In fact, they wont hardly touch anything else.

But it seems only the small, shoreside "piddle bream" give them the slightest notice where I live. And that isnt' much, to be honest. Give them a bit of worm and a Gulp! maggot side by side and the maggot will get a yawn.

I've put them on all sorts of baits, jigs, spinners and so on, too  - and nuttin'.

Some of this has to do with the fact that I'm shore bound and cant really test them in the deep hideouts where the bigguns hunker. But overall, they have been something of a disappointment.

Not sure why but I have tried these as well several times and have no luck what so ever with them. It might just be the color I have tried? Not sure??
I certainly like em!.....I've caught a lot of nice bluegills on these white maggies....many on a plain hook with usually 3 maggies attached with a splitshot attached 8" above the hook....My photos should have this system somewhere....I also attach them to small feathered or hair jigs or on a mini spoon.....All work well....
Have tried this bait maybe 4 or 5 times and did not do well.  Caught one bream with it today, but fishing was very poor. Anyway lack of success if probably  because I didn't give it enough time to give a good evaluation. It's hard to break the live worm and cricket habit after 60 years. However, I do intend to uset the Berkly products more often and see if there is enough action to make we want to switch or at least have more confidence in the Berkly products.
I've had a lot of luck using them for 'gills and Steelhead, but prefer live maggots.  Also had a lot of success with Gulp Honeyworms for 'gills.
I bought some Berkeley Gulp crickets yesterday, tried 'em out today for the first time.  The BG hit the gulp crickets just as good as live crickets.  Also caught a 6.5 channel cat on a gulp cricket this morning!  I haven't tried the maggots.
Nice, this gives me some hope. I got nothing on Gulp crickets when I tried them recently, but I didn't get much of anything else that day, either. BG ~3 inches long and only on worms. Not even very many of those, either. Will try them again, though.

Only as a last, last resort - and even then, I would have to think about it. They are no match for the real maggot. To me they are pushing it with the Outfishes All Other Bait™ & the Outfishes Live™ - note they do not claim to out fish live bait, but they try to dance all around it.

If they keep encroaching, I would like a few volunteers in the legal community to join the live bait distributors of North America and we can put their jar to the test when cash is on the line. - I might even let them pick the spot on the side of the lake : )...

Keep it in your box sealed in case live bait Armageddon takes place and you are stuck with it -

I use them with jigging spoons one on two of trebbles and then just one wax worm  on the third trebbel cheaper than using three waxes, they seem two stay on pretty good !

i feel like im late to the party... 

I cant say enough about the great product Berkley has in the form of the Gulp Maggot… I contribute most of my success last year to this product dropshotting on a bare hook, slip and fixed floating and continuing into this year with bait dropping behind a crankbaits with Hali bait chains… just an overall amazing product.

I am confident enough to say at this point I will catch fish anywhere with this product and I will outfish live bait in the same time period (time saved preparing bait) and more cost effectively.

Some testimonial links listed below

20150503-KERSWILL LAKE highlighting the bait dropper rig with Gulp ...

20141024--FISHING THE SLOT - CARLS BOBBER AND PINK GULP MAGGOT ~ fixed floating with Pink Gulp

20140903-- PANFISH OUTING DROP SHOT AND GULP ALIVE ONLY!

20140912--FELT LIKE NOVEMBER PANFISH OUTING~ Nothing but Gulp maggots and minnows

20140826-- SNAPSHOT OF YESTERDAYS OUTING~ PB and Master Angler P’Seed using Gulp Maggots and crawler bits

MICRO-DROPSHOTTING ~ I show a testimonial collage of a decent gill outing using Gulp Hellgrammites

VERTICALLY FISHING ICE JIGS IN OPEN WATER ~ Slab jigs on chains in open water vertical jigging with Pink Gulp Maggots

... and i do very well with it on the ice...

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
5 hours ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
5 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
5 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
5 hours ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
5 hours ago
5 hours ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
yesterday
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service