Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Has anyone used the Gulp earthworms? Are they any good?
Were they fished by themselves or in combination with other bait?

Views: 702

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I use Berkley Gulp Red Worms in small bits to tip my trebles on my Spoon lures and to tip trebles on my crankbaits (just a tiny piece on one of the rear trebles works very nicely and I believe it has really increased my catch ratio!!!! As far as the Gulp brown earthworms, I haven't used them yet but I don't see why they wouldn't work good too!!!
I used em quite a bit last summer on stream gills and sunfish. best way i found to fish em was about 3 feet under a bobber and weightless.
I have done fairly well on the Gulp Earthworms as a tipping bait and just plain. Some of those recent Quarry Gills I caught took Gulp after turning their nose up to the real McCoy...go figure!
Going along with what Jim just mentioned about an artificial tipping sometimes beating the real McCoy - I had a situation with dirty water,wind, waves (Lake Erie) recently ,where I ran out of the waxworms I'd hoped would yield the bonus of scent for my jigs. Since I pour my own plastics for bass, and have had great luck by mixing fresh coffeee grounds into that mix, I cut bits of my coffee enhanced plastic and place a nubbin on the hook point. Ended up with nine differant species(including bluegill, tho crappies really went nuts over the coffee!) from a stone pier! While in the midst of a great afternoon catch I discovered a waxworm I hadn't used and put it on for a comparison test -my hot bite stopped immediately!! Perhaps the coffee,just "woke em up!" At any rate I'll be experimenting with coffee bits this summer!
Isnt it a small world. I routinely mix the coffee grinds in with my worm dirt. I was shown
that by my late grandpapa . I kept doing it out of tradition, guess there is more to it.
Thank you for your comment. Tight lines
I don't know why I didn't check this discussion earlier. Gulp earthworms were no comparison to nightcrawler pieces for me this evening. I was so hoping that they were going to keep the grit from caking under my thumbnails.
GULP! Nightcrawlers have worked great for me. Once I find a spot, rig them like a real live nightcrawler and throw it out. Fish seem to bite just as much for me, with a lot less mess. I also use the GULP! Maggots, in the natural (brown?) color. Again, they catch fish. Might buy a container of the earthworms as well for a smaller worm, sometimes the nightcrawlers are too big and I cut them down to use...
when fishing with kids and the fish are very active gulp is great. stays on the hook better than worms.
tipped on a teardrop the it helps keep the youngesters fishing longer with the same bait and is easier on me helping them fish.
wont out fish real bait but keeps in your tackle box and is always handy.

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
5 hours ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
5 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
6 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
6 hours ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
6 hours ago
6 hours ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
yesterday
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service