Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Well, I had never done it before, but today I decided to try tipping my 1/64th oz shad dart jighead with two different baits to see if it would make a difference. I fished a small public lake in Adams County, PA from 3 to 5 pm. Weather was splendid...68 degrees and partly sunny skies and calm and the fish were biting.

Last week I had to go to the drop-shot/live worm rig to catch fish that had settled near the bottom of 6-8 feet of water after a cold front. Not today, as I found fish 5 ft from the surface over a submerged creek bed. Using the jig with a small piece of garden worm, I caught fish steadily until I reached a count of 19 fish, then decided to try the Gulp! minnows as a tipping bait. Since the entire 1 inch minnow would make a bulky, oversized offering for the gills, I decided to use the back half of the minnow as a tipping option, suspended just like the jig/worm option. Here are the results...The first three fish I caught on the Gulp minnow tipped jig were the three largest of the day at 10 to 10.5 inches. I don't know why this is, maybe a small group of bigger fish just cruised in at this particular time, but the top three were on successive casts. Maybe the jig and Gulp presented a slightly larger offering that only the bigger fish would approach...just a guess.

I caught the same amount...19 apiece...on each tipping option for a total of 38 released fish. Most of the fish on the Gulp tipping were 9 inches or better, and the worm offering fish were just slightly smaller. I fished each option for one hour.

Worm fish tended to take the bobber under with more gusto, and would make the bobber dissapeer. The fish that took the Gulp tipped jig tended to 'trail off' with the jig, not always pulling the bobber below the surface. Sometimes, they would just 'tilt' the bobber and you had to be able to recognize the strike. Most fish were caught over the creek channel, which is easy casting distance from the shoreline.

So what did I find out? Probably, not much. The fish were on the feed as a warm 70 degree November day had them going and action seemed just as fast with either bait. Water was at 56 degrees and clear. The only noticable differences was the 'trailing off' bites on the Gulp and the larger fish on same. Need to experiment more...maybe this Saturday at another lake!

No, didn't prove much today, except it was a beautiful time to be out and those lovely fish made it a great time.

Views: 8966

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Scent, shape and movement, then, are the key factors.

I suppose it helps that one also has a GPS mapping, side imaging, nuclear powered sonar available...so a bait may be dropped among them.
The alternative is having a small focused environment, which gives the same effect.
As Jason P. says you can't catch em if they ain't there!

Keep in mind that, even though the jury is still out on the Gulp!s effectiveness on freshwater venues, it is a smash hit with many of the saltwater crowd for stripers, seatrout, redfish and others.

In my experiences the jury has reached a verdict. Gulp! Alive is great. Minnows and crickets especially.

like I said before guys;; ive tried the berkly products many; many times with very little luck.  I have about 20 to 30 bags of the stuff;  tried most of them;; just haven't had any luck with them. 

Same here.
In my case, I'm not all that good at finding fish that I can present the stuff to.
You, on the other hand, are.

So, on the one hand you have guys that think it's wonderful. On the other , not so wonderful.

It doesn't matter what you use if there aren't fish there. My point is in bigger waters there are a lot of places that the fish can be that you aren't. Like I previously stated: minnows and crickets are great. I don't really have use for the rest of them.

The root of my problem- big water lake (almost 60,000 acres)
I couldn't tell you on any given day where the fish are.

what was the word you used describing a small eco subset of a larger system?

A microtope.

My home water, Lake Murray, has three distinct main "biotopes"
River
Mid water
Deep rift.

Any smaller segment within these are microtopes.

Its a term I picked up in my aquarium days.

Hey Scruff...ever thought about focusing on smaller waters, say, 300 acres and smaller?  You can do them that size with a kayak, and I bet you'll pattern fish much faster than on big 'ole Murray.

Sure I've thought about it. Plenty.
I'll have to see what's available.
A few pay lakes, a park pond, etc. are within 45 min.
Meanwhile, I'll stop complaining and gete some Gulp!

you are an aquarist... i believe you have a distinct edge there.

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
18 hours ago
John Sheehan posted photos
21 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's status
"An Instrumental Guitar recording of mine to commemorate. …"
Sunday
John Sheehan posted a status
"Trout Season opens April 6th in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for stocking."
Sunday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Plastic Worm varieties in the group Lure History
"My favorites through the Years: Manns Jelly Worm, Manns Auger tail, Charlie Brewers 4" on a…"
Sunday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Plastic Worm varieties in the group Lure History
Sunday
Sunday
Troy Dorman commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

"Thank you, Jeffrey!"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service