Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Back in late September, while vacationing in the Poconos, I saw these two Russian guys bailing bluegill from a lake.  They where kinda of secretive as to what they were using, but from a distance it looked like a casting bubble with a long leader to a bait lure that was too small to see.  They were using ~9' light salmon/steelhead rods and were casting these things great distances and then a real slow retrieve.  When I got back to a computer and googled for a bit, I figured out what they were using - sbirolinos or bombardas.

They are basically an aerodynamic casting floats (some are sinking) for getting flies, UL lures waaaay out there.  They come in different weights and densities.  They are used in Europe for trout fishing in lakes or sea trout fishing in estuaries and I saw some videos where they were used for perch and roach fishing.  I found a place in the USA (Warminster, PA) that sells them and ordered a few.  I the meantime, I made one from an egg sinker and a foam float.

My setup is a Fenwick HMXS 86L-2-MF (8.5'  3/16-1/2 oz).  6# fireline crystal with a 7' 4# fluorocarbon leader.  The sbirolino is threaded on the fireline, tail-end facing the reel, followed by a small bead.  Then I tie on a swivel, one end to the fireline, the other to the leader.  I'm using a #12 beadhead nymph as the bait.  

These rig casts a mile and I been catching bluegills and crappie like crazy.  I've had my best luck on a shallow pond I fish, I think I need to try some sinking ones to do better on deeper water.  

It's difficult to find much out about these rigs on the internet as all the websites & videos are in either German, Dutch or Russian!  Much like the Europeans over complicate carp fishing, they have some wild bait rigs using these sbirolinos for trout fishing.

Views: 5378

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

THIS IS A TOTALLY NEW ONE TO ME STEVE;; INTERESTING SET UP !  QUESTION IS;; HOW FAR CAN YOU CAST THIS;; AND HOW FAST IS THE HOOK SET ?  WHEN I FISH AT LONG DISTANCE; THE REACTION TIME ON HOOK SET;; NOT GOOD ; FOR ME ANY WAY.  I MISS A LOT OF THEM !   GOOD INGEIUNITY  ON DESIGNING YOUR OWN FLOAT !

I stink at estimating distances, but measuring my pond on google earth and I'm guessing ~100+ ft without really laying into the cast.  I'm slow reeling the whole retrieve, so I'm always in direct contact with the fly.  So far hook setting has only been an issue with a strong wind putting a big bow in the line.  I've been getting a lot of short strikes, but I get them when fly fishing for BG too.  Using the braid helps with bite detection also.  Casting technique is an overhead lob type cast, feathering the line on the reel just before the float hits to flip the fly/leader out in front of the float.  I got a lot of ideas using these things - micro flies or jigs in the cold water of late November/December, one of those Hildebrandt flicker spinners for stocked trout in the spring.  There are tons of videos of guys trout fishing with them.  If only I understood German.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EDULwy1598

Steve 

Welcome to the world of Euro float fishing. I would suggest circle hooks (size 10 - 14) when making your rigs. This way the fish pretty much hook themselves. The commercial  rigs are available on UK fishing sites. Reason most people use these rigs are to get out real far via rod and reel  with very light terminal tackle.  

Tight Lines and have fun

Bombarda Floats - Floating

The ’Bombarda’ system allows you to cast flies and small light lures distances never before thought achievable.

The ’Bombarda’ also provides "depth control" being available in Floating, Intermediate and Sinking versions.

Here is a good overview , in English 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASn3dWN1TGs

Great video, thanks!  That's what I was thinking of doing with the Hildebrandt Flicker Spinner, looks like it will work.

very interesting... great way to cover some water shorefishing

It's a great addition for distance fishing higher in the water column.  I've been doing good all summer with a panfish-sized dropshot rig for fish that are far out, near the bottom.  I can cast both of these rigs about the same distance.

GUESS IM GOING  TO STAY WITH MY QUILL FLOATS; WONT CAST AS FAR  AS THOSE YOU ARE SHOWING STEVE;   BUT I CAN STILL ROLL CAST A QUILL FLOAT A PRETTY GOOD DISTANCE WITH A 3 WT FLY ROD;  AND THERE MIGHT BE A MORE SENSATIVE FLOAT THAN A QUILL FLOAT;; I JUST HAVENT FOUND ONE YET !

Difference is that these bombarda floats are not designed for bite indication but for distance casting for a rod and reel. Fly rods use the fly line to cast and do not need the additional weight 

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
26 minutes ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
27 minutes ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
50 minutes ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
50 minutes ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
51 minutes ago
51 minutes ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
19 hours ago
John Sheehan posted photos
22 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service