Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Long ago, before Katrina swept all my stuff away, I bought a Master Crappie Grabber telescopic pole.

I admit I wasnt much into sacalait, and so I only jigged for brim and sometimes for bass.

A few months ago, the bass were biting but were small, same with brim, so I pulled the sacalait pole out and tied on a white an blue tube jig.  The pole is very sensitive, and i could tell a goggle-eye from a sacalait. I began to catch a lot of sacalait.

One day, I had something hooked, i think a tchoupique, and it was a little too big for the jig pole, and it ran and wrapped the jig around something, I pulled, thinking it was lifting but it cracked the pole in half. I could see the jig on a stump, and i knew then that I goofed.

Well, I went through TWO BnM poles, one Uncle Bucks, and none of them had the sensitivity as the Master Crappie Grabber 3910 model.

I got two of them in the mail yesterday. Got them from glockworld.com

Does anyone else use a similar pole with just one eye on the end>?

Views: 6243

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No ,but I will check into these because I like this post!

Ok Tim I know a Sacalait, is a panfish we call a Crappie or a Calico Bass  up here in New Jersey but what in heck is a tchoupique?Got a photo?

You probably won't want to pay this much for one but the Tenkara rod is great.  They come in 11, 12, and 13' lengths and are made to use like a fly rod without a reel.  Mine is the Iwana and is 12' long and very sensitive.  Small bass and perch are a hoot on it.  Here is a link if you want to look into them. 

http://www.tenkarausa.com/index.php

Oh my goodness! I never had anything as nice as a Tenkara, but I used to sometimes fish with rods like that when I lived in Japan. Even the cheap ones are pretty cool. I *must* get one of those Tenkara T-shirts! The fish on the shirt is a yamame. I was pretty crazy about them in Japan, but I've only ever caught two (one wild, one stocked) and I like them so much that I've owned domain yamame.org for more than 10 years.

Yamame like very clear, cold water and are an extremely wary fish

24 bucks is a lot for a t-shirt, though :p

Wow, they even have a fly called the Gujo Kebari (郡上毛針)- the Gujo-Hachiman area is one of my favorite places in the world, and a stunningly beautiful place to fish.

Tchoupique is a bowfin. Go to wikpedia and type in bowfin and you will see them. Strong fish.

Yeah I saw the Tenkara before. Pricey!

Bowfin- poor mans bass, but don't lip 'em- nasty teeth.

I use the Crappie 13' . its light weight and when fished with 4-6lb test line, the results are outstanding, I do have some crappie pole's up to 20' long. i do use 1/16 and 1/32 ounce jigs but for a quick search to locate the crappie i use a small shinner (crappie minnow) to locate them in deeper water, look for down trees best with vegetation close to the surface,

algae starts to grow on limbs and vegetation close to the surface (up to 3 feet below the surface depending on the water temp.) The algae will supply food for the minnows, which will supply the crappie with an easy meal. Try this and see some hot action...

I use several models from 10-20 feet. I normally use flurocarbon line, 6 lb test although I have tried 2 lb test, and if I'm using a float, I prefer a natural porqupine quill. They are getting tough to find, so I've been using small cedar floats.

For jigs I use Jim Porters ( http://www.jimporter.org/ )

these are the best I have found. Great selection and good service.

Also, I've been having very good luck with "Scud-bugs" from Northland Tackle.

It an imitation of a small freshwater shrimp, and proves deadly worked around thick grass and pads. This is easy to do with long poles just lowered into the small pockets...

I use one. Its one of my favorite items of tackle and I have several.

I put a small reel on mine so I have a line reserve.

I dont think they can be beat for what they do.

And it so happens Ive stumbled upon 5 of these poles, 15' long. I got them on ebay, and they are like the Master poles... fibreglass, five section telescoping, complete with a line/bobber/hook set up.

Different name, same thing. You can see the Master version here:  http://www.myfishinggoods.com/rods.html

I paid $35 for the five of them and I reckon that's a fair deal. These are pretty common, really; even WalMart has similar ones for around $10. But they have nothing longer than 13 feet. Most people think of these as "bream poles," and 15 footers and up aren't your average item.

I don't really need five of these things, though. I kinda got carried away - story of my life. I'll probably sell a few to some of my fishing friends.

I bought a telescopic pole but aint never broke down & used it, maybe I need to, you guys have kinda inspired me with this discution.

I picked one up at a garage sale last year for $5......16 ft long. I no longer do much shore fishing or crappie fishing for that matter, but I have rigged, and used the pole a few times in a small jon boat while bluegill fishing......they're a blast, but a bit cumbersome. Ideal for fishing structure from the bank.

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
8 hours ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
8 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
8 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
8 hours ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
8 hours ago
8 hours ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
yesterday
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
Tuesday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service