Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

This is my first try at beginning a thread here, so I hope I'm doing it right. 

I have read several people's comments about adding a piece of live bait to a jig. Such as putting a cricket on a jig. My question is, "Is that better than putting a cricket on a bare hook?"  

Also, is there a pattern database here somewhere where I can see pictures of jigs and read the materials list or a step-by-step of how to tie that particular pattern?  

Are there any "Swaps" going on here where, say, a dozen guys send a set of a dozen flies to a "host" who sends back everyone one each of all the other jigs submitted? That way you send in 12 of the same pattern and get back 12 different patterns. 

Or instead of that, would any of you guys who fly fish be willing to send me 3 or 4 jigs and let me send you 3 or 4 flies that are good bluegill flies?

Thanks

Randall Runion 

Views: 1705

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Most answers will also be opinions Randall........I haven't fished a plain hook in many years since I have caught so many fish on tipped jigs including trophy class gills......I believe that the color and flash bring fish in and the tipped live bait completes the deal for the senses of the fish.....I love jig fishing and the results are proven in the waters I fish....Good luck! 

I don't make baits but I'm aware of several organized bait swaps on this forum and there is are talented craftsmen here at BBG.com.......

Jeff

Like Jeffrey, I believe the flash of color helps entice the fish, In my opinion the true test of a jig's effectiveness comes with its ability to catch just as many fish when naked, as it does when its dressed.

I just got in from doing a little evening fishing, and I was using a simple jig tied by our own Dick Tabbert, tipped with a waxworm. The jig had no eyes, tail, wings, legs, or fluff of any kind. No marabou, nothing to move or entice. Just color.

I caught bluegills and yellow perch when tipped with a lively waxworm. Without the tip I would get hits, but no takes. I think the color drew the fish in, and the protein sealed the deal.

I got nuttin on the jigs. These guys summed up my thoughts.

But I did a fly swap last year around Xmas and we could so it again.
It's a bit early yet, I was gonna get we going is Nov.

I'm down for this.

I tip crickets on jigs - more fore casting weight and to slow the jig through the water column. For trolling - as a missed fish indicator.

Not to take away from BBC - you need to check out Jigcraft.com. I've posted some tutorials and there a lot more posts, from other members on tying techniques & patterns. There are a lot of tyers and some material resources as well. I think there is another swap starting  now (winter crappie jig is the theme).

Great place to find custom made jigs and custom made tyes - cheap. I also have a lot of vintage fly tying tool pics posted there...

PM your snail mail and I can hook you up some ultra light stuff.

I'll vouch for jig craft.
Sonny has a good thing going there. I'm a member and the devotion to the the art shown by the other members is strong.
Get on over and join!
And you caught the generosity there, that Sonny (LedHed) was tossing out. Randall, didn't I tell you - great guys here!

So how does a cricket act as a missed fish indicator?

Unfortunately, there isn't a "central" database of patterns and SBS's here at BBG.  Most of us that tie will post pics of what we do.  Some folks will buy jigs/flies outright.  Others will do some horse-trading / swapping.  I've done both.

I think David "McScruff" Hutton may be starting up a swap here soon.

I'm planning to, Allen.

Randell we have a fly swap coming up don't know the date. Last year McScruff did the swap worked out well. As far as the rest I know there are people who fish tipped jigs and do well with them. I think the little extra flash the jigs may give off makes the difference. I sent you a friends request we can talk about jigs.

And I'd like to know what are your 3 or 4 good bluegill patterns?!

I would like to know that myself!

The Predator is a great topwater bluegill pattern. It's a foam fly and my "go-to" pattern when 'gills are feeding on top. And the Red Fox Squirrel Nymph is a bead head pattern that is very effective. In fact, just about any bead head pattern with rubber legs will catch bluegills. A red and white Humbug has always been a good pattern for me. Also, the Los Alamos Ant is another great foam fly. Many, many trout patterns make good bluegill flies. For instance, any soft hackle fly will catch 'gills. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but the Guide's Choice Hare's Ear ought to be a good pattern. I've caught a lot of fish on a Jon's Generic and I have a very simple black spider pattern that a lot of people swear by. Also, a Black Gnat which doesn't look anything like a gnat. Those are just a few & you can learn to tie most of them on YouTube. Take your pick. 

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
4 hours ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
4 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
5 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
5 hours ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
5 hours ago
5 hours ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
yesterday
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service