Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Had the opportunity to spend a few hours in my little bass buggy this afternoon. The weather man predicted a high of 50 degrees and light winds. Unfortunately I don't think it hit 50 but the wind was mild.

On my first cast after launch I got bit and boated a spunky pike of about 12". A few minutes later I hooked up with his big brother (about 16"). The I had a dry spell. More than an hour of nothing. Then another 12" pike. A few minutes later a nice 12" yellow perch, then another dry spell. On my way back to the ramp (in open water) I caught to respectable gills. One was 8 1/2" and the other 8 3/4". I capped off the day (right before dark) with a 13" yellow perch and a scrappy 7" gill.

Didn't take my camera along today as I went kinda spur of the moment. Also, I didn't wear enough clothes!

I hope that all on this board are able to get another trip or two in before winter takes hold. 

Views: 142

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nice report Ron and way to tough it out under challenging conditions.......

Jeffrey,

I don't know how many opportunities I'll have before the weatherman shuts me down. There was enough action to keep my interest. Also my trolling motor is quiet enough that I was able to sneak up on a fox, two squirrels and a couple of deer. The wild life make a day on the water even better. 

Couldn't agree more Ron......I tried to snap a couple pics of two does last weekend while I was anchored but they busted me......The bald eagles are more active now that it has cooled off and it's really neat to watch them work an area......Hope you can get out a few more times....My weekday trips are basically over with the time change but I'll be pushing to get out a few more times myself......Good Luck 

Way to go Ron, don't listen to that weatherman! Get out there and hook em'!! That's how it's done, and done well I might add. Nice job!

YUP I finished up most of my winter work here, trying to get ready for snow hurricanes and such . I was able to get out this afternoon up to Doc's pond and fished 3 hours and not a fish to be seen . Had one good bite in that time , but missed it as I was just enjoying the sun and ccccccccccool weather here. Around 44 degrees here today and very little wind. Found out by using a slip bobber there is still about 10 feet of water left in Doc's pond and could spell disaster for next year. I have two more small ponds lined up for next spring though and hopefully no draught next year ......

RSS

Latest Activity

dick tabbert posted photos
2 hours ago
Troy Dorman posted photos
4 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on tracy willis's photo
Thumbnail

nice pan of gills

"Nice mixed bag…..enjoy the fry!"
22 hours ago
tracy willis posted a photo

nice pan of gills

eater size gills and shellcrackers. fairly easy to catch a mess since they nest raiding bass and…
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

Flying carpenter ant

"Very generous offer Dick!"
yesterday
Thumbnail

Flying carpenter ant

"I believe sinking Dick. "
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

Flying carpenter ant

"I made a couple up for you. Do you have sinking or floating ants John?"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's group Lure History
"Great tip for the Tiny Torpedo I've not tried on my go to Smallmouth Bass topwater Bait.…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's group Lure History
"Us old timers /old schoolers can relate.  Bass Week: Top 5 Old-School Lures that Still…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

Flying carpenter ant

"Great work Dick!"
yesterday
dick tabbert posted a photo

Flying carpenter ant

#6 curved shank hook
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted a photo

Osprey Taking Flight…..4/14/2024

See dozens of these raptors every time you fish on the Albemarle….
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted photos
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted photos
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted a status
"Got out behind five days in a row of high wind warnings….washing machine effect on our creeks but grinded out a mess…mix of crappie & bass"
yesterday
Thumbnail

spawn is on

"Go get ‘em Tracy……fill up your stringer……."
Saturday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

Black Beetle

"Thank you Jeffrey. Working on tying some different flies."
Saturday
tracy willis commented on tracy willis's photo
Thumbnail

spawn is on

"thanks Jeff.  theyve colored up this week.  need to get back further in another creek to…"
Saturday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

Black Beetle

"Very nice craftsmanship Dick!"
Saturday
Thumbnail

spawn is on

"White crappie on the board!, good work Tracy….."
Saturday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by