Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

I haven't caught a lot of Walleyes ,maybe a dozen  or so but most of my Walleyes have come on Rapala Shad Raps and Floating Rapalas or Cotton Cordell Long style Crankbaits . A few have come on a small spinner rigged swim bait and a beaded nymph . I understand that Curly tail Jigs near bottom and Crawler harnesses take the majority of Walleyes but haven't found a good situation to employ that tactic .
 I also understand Trolling at night in the Spring often gets the biggest 'Eyes.

Carl Hendrix  suggests  using a Jig and Minnow with stinger Hook , trolling 1,1/2 mph near dropoffs/Weededges /ledges near deep water  at night .

Views: 268

Replies to This Discussion

When Walleyes are looking up, a slow retrieved 3-5"  Rapala or similar style bait just below the surface has worked nicely . They bang it good sometimes.

JOHN;; IN MY AREA; WE DO NOT HAVE A LOT OF WALLEYES BUT WE DO HAVE SAUGER;  AND MOST OG THE FISHERMEN;; USE HEAVY JIGS;  AND ADD STINGER HOOKS TO THEM; THEN TIP THE JIG WITH MINNOWS; AND RUN THE STINGER HOOK INTTO THE TAIL SECTION OF THE MINNOW;; THEN;; BOTTOM BOUNCE THE JIG; RAISING IT ABOUT A FOOT OR SO OFF THE BOTTOM; THEN BACK DOWN TO THE BOTTOM;; CONSTANTLY DOING IT;; FISHING IN SOME REALLY SWIFT WATER;; AND GENERALLY;; THE WORST WEATHER; GETS THE BETTER BITES;;;  WE CATCH BOTH SAUGER;; AND WALLEYES WITH THIS METHOD..   HOPE IT HELPS YA !

Yes overcast or dark is best for Walleyes I've found Carl. I would expect that near bottom like Perch fishing would be higher percentage than the way I've caught them suspended or near the top . Just hasn't been the case for me .Maybe when I target them in a boat and some local lakes that have a lot of big Walleyes I'll start getting them that way .Thanks man!

Fact is , I've caught more or at least as many Walleyes from shore or a pier  than while in a boat .Things I'm sure are different in other situations than what I've been able to do.

HEY JOHN;; ALSO;; WHEN IN A BOAT TROLLING;; SPEED-- MATTERS !!  ONLY GO ABOUT 1; TO 11/2 MPH !!  AND THE GUYS I KNOW HERE WHO FISH FOR WALLEYES;; TRY TO FISH AT NITE; FOR MANY REASONS;; LESS WATER TRAFFIC;; ITS COOLER AT NITE;; AND THE BIGGEST REASON;; THEY SAY;; THE BIG GIRLS COME OUT; AND EASIER TO CATCH !LEDGES; DROP OFFS;; WEEDY AREAS;  ALL CLOSE TO DEEP WATER;  ARE BEST BETS.  AT LEAST; THATS WHAT I HAVE BEEN TOLD HERE.. HOPE IT HELPS YA BUDDY !

I only troll with electric motor ,sold my Sea Nymph ,and 25 HP Mercury motor years ago .Gee  I miss that boat  and the bigger water I took it to.

RSS

Latest Activity

dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Thanks Jeffrey."
1 hour ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

These were caught on redworms

"Nice mixed catch……."
2 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

Vince with two nice ones

"Nice daily double…..Vince is growing up!"
2 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Nice perch anywhere Dick…"
2 hours ago
dick tabbert posted photos
9 hours ago
Troy Dorman posted photos
10 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on tracy willis's photo
Thumbnail

nice pan of gills

"Nice mixed bag…..enjoy the fry!"
yesterday
tracy willis posted a photo

nice pan of gills

eater size gills and shellcrackers. fairly easy to catch a mess since they nest raiding bass and…
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

Flying carpenter ant

"Very generous offer Dick!"
yesterday
Thumbnail

Flying carpenter ant

"I believe sinking Dick. "
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

Flying carpenter ant

"I made a couple up for you. Do you have sinking or floating ants John?"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's group Lure History
"Great tip for the Tiny Torpedo I've not tried on my go to Smallmouth Bass topwater Bait.…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's group Lure History
"Us old timers /old schoolers can relate.  Bass Week: Top 5 Old-School Lures that Still…"
Sunday
Thumbnail

Flying carpenter ant

"Great work Dick!"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted a photo

Flying carpenter ant

#6 curved shank hook
Sunday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted a photo

Osprey Taking Flight…..4/14/2024

See dozens of these raptors every time you fish on the Albemarle….
Sunday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted photos
Sunday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted photos
Sunday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted a status
"Got out behind five days in a row of high wind warnings….washing machine effect on our creeks but grinded out a mess…mix of crappie & bass"
Sunday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on tracy willis's photo
Thumbnail

spawn is on

"Go get ‘em Tracy……fill up your stringer……."
Saturday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service