Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Let's discuss how to succeed finding hooking and landing Smallies that live in rivers !http://bigbluegill.com/group/fishing-for-smallmouth-bass-in-rivers

Views: 827

Replies to This Discussion

Clear water; fish mid river troughs .Muddy water ;hit the banks and look for clear water runoffs dumping into the river.This has paid off for me in the past .Muddy water gets the Chartreuse spinners and Spinner bait call.

Deep Holes under Bridges are hot spots .Here are a few low river near bridge smallies I caught 1st time fishing the Shenandoah for two days .The water was fairly quick as it was funneled through the bridge openings and the smallies were back in a feeding zone coming to them . I particularly like the Turquoise hues of the Red Breasted Sunfish I caught there. This was back in 2010 in July . Boy was it hot! Had to sit down in the river to cool off .

I found a hole by a steep bank and got three smallies out of it in two times fishing .Three different sizes ranging from about  6-10"

A real treat getting the biggest and most energetic on a fly rod .Took a Burke plastic Hellgrammite.

Reading John Tertuliani's book ,'Smallmouth Bass and Streams', (Thoughts on Fly Fishing) Stresses the importance of Bedrock, Large Boulders , moderate flow current and Scour holes for Smallmouth Habitat .

Just below a dam spillway is a good starting point for finding scour holes .I look for steep banks too .

Latest Smallie River Rig .Catches multi species and Smallies love it .Cinching the Spinner and bead  6" above hook/bait  works great .

This rig took 14 fish from the river including Five Smallies last time out . 6 species Cr, BG, RBS, SM, LM ,Walleye.

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Thumbnail

September Daily Double..9/14/2019

"Thanks Jeff !Go get 'em Man!"
7 hours ago
LedHed posted photos
9 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Thumbnail

nc_bluegill state record

"Indeed Jeff........I have really enjoyed the pictures from Lake Perris and a few others in…"
21 hours ago
Jeff Soto commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Thumbnail

nc_bluegill state record

"Everyone is talking about Richmond Mill, a private and expensive place to fish.  I'm…"
21 hours ago
Thumbnail

nc_bluegill state record

"Yep......many of the North Carolina records come from farm ponds including a RedEar over five…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

"Good luck John and I agree........we often get big temperature swings from cold fronts but anytime…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

nc_bluegill state record

"New Jersey State record Bluegill is 3 lbs. caught in 1990 from a farm pond ."
yesterday
Thumbnail

" Jeffrey i am anxious to see the water tempo at 65-60 and anticipate some Crappie and…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

"Thanks John.......we are now seeing night time air temps in the 60s and even a few 50s sprinkled in…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

nc_bluegill state record

"Yep......it caught my eye immediately John.......just think, on;y three states have officially…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's group East coast Ice fisherman
"The Old Farmer’s Almanac predicts a warmer and wetter winter for most of the country.  …"
yesterday
Thumbnail

"We had 73.9 degree water yesterday here in NENJ."
yesterday
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

Outback 9/16/19

"And doing a great job Dick!"