Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Over the years, I've experimented with dozens of plastic trailers for the specific use of spoon tipping......I have pictured below, 5 of the most productive plastics I've encountered.

Pictured left to right, Southern Pro's 1" Lil' hustler.....Berkleys' 1" Power tube....Bass Pro's 1 1/2" Squirmin' squirt.....Venom lures 1 3/4" solid bodied tube....Herb Reeds 2 1/2" Fin-S minnow (trimmed).

These plastics are ideal for spoon tipping and should be glued onto the hook with Berkleys' anglers glue....The lower pic is of a fully rigged 1/12 oz Kastmaster, with a Venom 1 3/4" solid bodied tube bait trimmed back 5/16 of an inch....these solid bodied tubes sit on the top of my list due to the durability of the plastic, and the ability to get good glue adhesion. This total package measures 2 3/4", and has been known to be attacked by gills up to 10" and as small as 4".

Views: 101

Replies to This Discussion

Bill, excellent discussion thread....thanks for starting and sharing your approach. I also use Bass Pro Shop's Squirmin' Squirts. I assume you're using glue to mitigate the plastics getting "beat up" by gills. Are you tipping the plastics with live bait? If we catch up with one another this summer, I have some other plastics for you to try. Thanks again Bill. ( I'm leaving Prairie du Chien this morning and hoping to be on Delavan or Geneva Friday morning ).
blackhawks, I never combine live bait with plastics while spooning....This severely offsets the balance of the spoon and greatly reduces the swimming qualities of the lure....In essence, it renders the spoon into a lifeless chunk of metal......Live bait has its place as a replacement for plastic, but shouldn't be used as an addition to plastics.....Wish I could do Delavan with you Fri., but I have Comcast coming to install cable Fri morning......I'll definately be on Del this weekend sometime......Spooning of course, I'll report in a few days.
Bill, thanks for the information regarding the combo of plastics and live bait....makes sense. Could not head out this morning...long story short...my son is an IT student at Gateway and was on his way to class last night at the Racine campus. He was in Racine County on Sheridan Road when his left rear wheel came off his car at app. 45 mph. He braked hard, slid in the gravel on the shoulder and then hit a power pole. Thank God, he is fine....sore, but fine. I believe the car is totalled so I will be dealing with the insurance company this morning, etc. Most likely, I will be on Delavan Sunday morning in my friend's boat....17 ft. Alumacraft Tournament Pro Special with a 115 Evinrude (dark blue). I typically wear a military bush style cap. Perhaps we'll see you out there. Take care Bill.

RSS

Latest Activity

jim cosgrove left a comment for John Sheehan
"Here and there John.I think they are getting scarce due to inter breeding with other species,They…"
15 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Thumbnail

Some 13 Inch Class Spawning Perch Today....

"Thanks Mark.....I've never caught a yellow perch on a flyrod but they're fun on a…"
yesterday
yesterday
Mark Sleeper commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Thumbnail

"good one I love to catch them on the fly  rod"
yesterday
Mark Sleeper replied to Slip Sinker's discussion Micro-Jig Version "Spring Cricket" in the group Everything a to z concerning Micro-Jigging
"nice jig"
yesterday
Bill Prater joined Slip Sinker's group
Thumbnail

Everything a to z concerning Micro-Jigging

Micro-Jigging for panfish i believe is the hottest and most productive method for panfish in the…See More
Saturday
dick tabbert commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Saturday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

P1011812

"Still working 2020 ,classic Reel !"
Friday
John Sheehan commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Thursday
Slip Sinker commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Thursday
Thumbnail

"Appreciate it Tooty......getting excited about the upcoming Spring and Summer........these fish are…"
Thursday
DAVID L EITUTIS commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Thumbnail

"WOW JEFFREY THOSE ARE AWESOME FOR SSSSSSSSSSURE, CONGRATS TO YA"
Thursday
Thumbnail

"Thanks Mikey-D .........things are kind of up and down right now with a blast of snow promised…"
Wednesday
Thumbnail

"John I hope you guys get a perch run soon and enjoy it when you do!"
Wednesday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Kelly Peterson's status
"I was afraid of the high water on these upstate drainages.......We've had a  mild winter…"
Wednesday
Mikey-D commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Thumbnail

"Those are some fine fish you got there good eatin to way to go!!!"
Wednesday
Kelly Peterson commented on Kelly Peterson's status
"Stopped at the Edisto today, River was way out of its banks, plus it was raining pretty hard. Oh…"
Feb 18
Thumbnail

"I miss the Perch bite! Seems its been quite awhile!"
Feb 18
Thumbnail

"Thanks again John.....although we reached 50 we might have trouble remaining there as we are now…"
Feb 18
Thumbnail

"Above 50 ! I got a ways to go around here for that to happen . Good job Jeffrey!"
Feb 18

© 2020   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service