Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Things are obviously pretty slow in Wisconsin on a rainy day, when a person spends any time looking into something like this but in the process of changing over my Swedish Pimples to accept the O'Shaughnessy single hook rather then the treble hook it came with I slowly started to realize the hook provided was a bit different then the 100 I bought from Cabelas a week ago. The one provided by S/P had an eye twice the size of opening then the hundred that are in the bag in my tackle box. I found this out when I went to put a Cabelas O'S on a Jig a Whopper Spoon I had with no replacement. That's when I realized the hundred in the bag would not fit the split ring! A close examination showed the eye was half the size of the one that went right on the S/P. So I started to dig into why. This is what I found out about the Mustad O'Shaughnessy Hook: There are 19 different styles manufactured by them to begin with. Size may range from 14/0 down to #12. They may have 2 styles of points: a spear point or a hollow ground or rolled point. They can be made of Stainless Steel or Carbon steel. Caron steel can be bronzed, cadmuim plated, tinned and then nickel or gold plated. The steel can be forged or not forged. Wire sizes can be normal to 2X in strength. Shank length can be from extra long to 3X short. The shank can be straight, or 45 to 90 degree bent for jig hooks. Eyes can be straight, down bend, larger then normal (Swedish Pimple???) open eye (#34091 soft metal)with some big game eyes having needle eyes! I'll spare you the math: That equals 236 varieties of O'Shaughnessy hook just for the American market. So the next time you're told to get a #6 O/S hook, be careful what you order! (I have a hundred I'll sell ya!!!!!!) Sincerely, Bob

Views: 634

Replies to This Discussion

Bob...thanks for the information as to the many choices for the O'Shaughnessy hooks...I was about to go hunting for some # 6's... would it be possible to change to an o-ring which
would fit the eye of the O/S hook and the Swedish Pimple/ other spoons...???
hate to see you have to store those 100 O/S hooks for ever in the ol' takle box...
continued good catches...Dave
Dave, Thanks for the advice on going to a smaller split ring. Will look around to see what's out there but will be much more cautious when buying anything in volume again. Besides, my finger nail is only now starting to recover from dealing with the S/P split rings already provided!!!!!!!! I tried my split ring pliers but it just got in the way. Luckily I don't chew my nails! Bob
Bob...I use the small blade on my pocket knife to pry the split ring just enough
to get item started on or off the ring....maybe that will save a little wear and tear
on the nails...good luck on finding the correct size of split rings....I found some
small rings where the decorative beads section at a local Walmart..seems to
fit the eye of a #6 hook...
Dave
Bob, why are you not using the single hook that is provided?....The Bay de Noc lure company recommends that you use Mustad Oshaugnessy 3407DT #6-#4 when replacing damaged single hooks...I've never had to order these, I purchase them in store, at my local Bass Pro Shops....The Blue Fox RFS comes with a thinner breed of split rings, the top one should always be removed and can be used in other applications. (I only use this style of hook when rigging Acme Kastmasters)
Bill, I used all the single hooks provided by Bay de Noc for their product but was switching over some of the older ones I have that didn't have a spare around any longer. That's when I realized there really was a difference. I was contacted by Bay de Noc today and they told me I could get some of their hooks because Mustad will only sell them by the thousands! Holy Crap! Sorry if I confused anyone. The hook provided by BdN is just fine. They use a #8 hook on their #2 Swedish Pimple and and #6 hook on their #3 SP. Bill, are you available to fish this weekend? Are you open to try one of the Madison Lakes if my buddies connect on Friday there instead? Let's talk on Friday. Bob
I haven't been to too many shops for the O's hooks as i could not find them at either of my to local shop one being Gander Mountain ( may have to look again). So I went with what Looked to be the next closest thing a plain shank from Eagle Claw.Size is roughly the same with the small eyelet also.

Bill do you think this will have any negative effect on the Swedes I put them on?I beleive it will keep the smaller ones off and let the bigger ones take the bait.
Rob, What you are really looking for is a Mustad #3365C Sproat Hook which comes in a #4,6,8 size, large ring, nickel plated. I have all 3 sizes coming if you're interested. Sincerely, Bob
Thanks Bob,Could you possibly post a picture of one when you get them so I could compare,I will keep that in mind though,the next time I am at the bait shop i will be looking for them.Sounds like a specialty and I may have to order them though.
Rob, I have a great copy of this hook but have to figure out how to copy it and make an attachment out of it. Maybe I'll figure out how to post a picture rather then adding an attachment soon! Bob

Bob, last week, my buddy performed an experiment. Given the problem you noted above (small opening at the end of the hook and variable sizes of split rings), my buddy used a snap at the hook end of the spoon. He used the same snap type that is used on the line side of the spoon. We use the lock style snap that Bill recommended. The hook was fine and he was catching fish at the same rate I was and I was utilizing the split ring / hook presentation. Food for thought.
That sounds real good ..gotta try that!

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
1 hour ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
1 hour ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
1 hour ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
1 hour ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
1 hour ago
1 hour ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
20 hours ago
John Sheehan posted photos
23 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service