Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Views: 62

Replies to This Discussion

Do you use this for leader material ?

I tried using floro leader material like the bass pros years ago but the leader ended up considerably thicker than the main line braid.

A couple ice seasons ago I tried the 2# on one of my setups the line jumps off the spool quickly, doesn’t absorb water like mono and sinks rapidly. I still have it loaded on one set-up.

how do you feel about braids visibility in the waters you fish ?Is it clear water or stained by you ?

The lakes vary in transparency from gin clear to 15-20’ to varied stained intensity depending on rainfall. The last 6 master angler B.Gills I tagged this year came from very clear periods in the lakes.

I try to fish 2# mono diameter equivalent or less in superlines and have done very well… I believe thinness is the most important factor when it comes to invisibility. In all honesty, I think floro is a sales gimmick when it comes to invisibility. I always refer to the in-fisherman quote below when it comes to line visibility in the water.

Ever wondered how fish truly perceive fluorocarbon, a line advocated for its invisible qualities? And how can panfish, trout, and other species dine on transparent prey like zooplankton if they can’t see them? Or can they?When you examine fluorocarbon under water with an underwater camera or a dive mask, you might be surprised to see that it’s as visible and opaque as braid. But how do the fish perceive it? Does it matter? Read more: http://www.in-fisherman.com/panfish/the-clear-connection-for-panfish-lures/#ixzz4tp2UoOJT

So the way i am currently looking at it, if floro is just as visible as braid underwater why fish a fluorocarbon leader at all? Why not just use thin braid? Its 4 to 5 times stronger for its diameter… why not crank em in and keep the big uns out of the snags. i would have never landed that channel cat the other day if I was using 2# mono or floro

RSS

Latest Activity

John Burns commented on Jack Sandlin's photo
Thumbnail

all fish

"Those are some nice bluegill."
58 minutes ago
John Burns commented on Bruce Condello's group The Shellcrackers
"A couple from just before sundown from my 1/10th acre sediment pond where I am trying to get some…"
1 hour ago
dick tabbert commented on Jack Sandlin's photo
Thumbnail

crappie

"Nice mess of good eating there Jack."
3 hours ago
dick tabbert commented on Jack Sandlin's photo
Thumbnail

bream

"Nice one Jack."
3 hours ago
dick tabbert commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
3 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney posted photos
5 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Jack Sandlin's photo
Thumbnail

all fish

"Good box........"
6 hours ago
Thumbnail

bream

"Great Looking Gill Jack!"
6 hours ago
Thumbnail

crappie

"Nice looking string Jack......bluebird skies and high pressure made it tough out that…"
6 hours ago
Jack Sandlin posted photos
6 hours ago
6 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney posted a status
"A few hours late afternoon on Bagley's.......yielded a solid stringer of tidal black crappie......fish were a little deeper and near bottom"
6 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney posted a photo

A Few Nice Gills Smashed The Minnow Tipped Jigs Today

Had a good time this morning.........
7 hours ago
7 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney posted a status
"Bermuda high pressure and bluebird skies equated to a tough morning bite.....worked hard to catch 39 tidal crappie and several White Perch"
7 hours ago
carl hendrix commented on LedHed's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_3999

"WAY TO GO SONNY !!  BIG BRUTES YOUR CATCHING IN LP !!"
13 hours ago
carl hendrix commented on LedHed's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_4003

"THE FISH WHISPER;; HAVING A GREAT TIME CATCHING REAL HOGS !!"
13 hours ago
carl hendrix commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

Only one caught

"A IMPRESSIVE BEAUTIFUL GILL DICKY !"
13 hours ago
carl hendrix commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Thumbnail

Christmas In October...........

"LOLOLOL;;  NOW THIS IS THE WAY TO GO SHOPPING FOR FISHING !!  JUST LOAD UP ON THE…"
13 hours ago
dick tabbert posted a photo

Only one caught

9+ inch wide bodied quality fish in 8' of water fishing towards the bottom. Jig and worm.
yesterday

© 2017   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service