Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Here is a good video to watch...

Published on Dec 21, 2012

By request an introduction to fly tying materials & tools, For the newbie. I hope i help a few understand better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia_s5zlT-v0&feature=em-uploademail

Views: 406

Replies to This Discussion

That is a very good video, but in my opinion, too complicated for a beginner. Try these. Learn the basics and you can tie anything. I hope this helps you. I know of what I speak because I teach lessons. I don't know everything, that's for sure, but I've tied for over 20 years and I do know what basics you need. And, remember, even the most poorly tied flies will catch fish. I'm proof of that.

The Best,

Bruce

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB6tss3hGZc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgGpTxo-Dds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w547MtzD3pY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5vMStjCwok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTb5sLPpRb0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yC8F6OXiGM

Good job - Bruce and thanks for adding the links, I'm sure  their are beginners and others out there that willl be interested in them........ maybe you could post a video of you tying some flies.

Thanks

Rick

I started my tying with a kit and the basic book that was in it!!!!!!! Then my neighbor turned me on to these GUYS!!!!!!

http://www.kwsu.org/Offers/FlyTying.aspx

That was before internet, as for me anyway Ihave most of these recorded on vhs!!!!!!

Great site Greg- spent so much time watching the episodes I almost forgot to post.......thanks Rick

Well I started my tying at a shop in Rockford Illinois called ON THE FLY. Guy showed me how to do a half hitch and tie a foam spider. I had gone to his shop to buy some fly tackle , a reel etc. , and wound up learning how to tie flies. We started out simple and after a month I had paid for my first Regal VIce AND then on to Royal Coachman's ,Royal Wulff's , Mosquitos', SCuds, and assorted other trout patterns. Should have stuck maily to panfish stuff, but was young then, In my 30's, and eager to try some new stuff. Well I never did watch a video till about 10 years later and it was by Dave Whitlock , WHO IN NEAR FORGOTTEN NOW , and he was a real fisherman and tier. Also watched a video made by Larry Dahlberg on how to tie the Dahlberg Diver with deer hair. Only tried one of those!!!!!!!!!! SPinning deer hair isn't my idea of fun!!!!! OVer the years we all seem to progress till it looses it luster and becomes a job instead of fun. It has become a job for me and when I was down in the shop today with my son, I had to do some soul searching to see if I still wanted to make the 600-1000 bugs a winter which I normally do. NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOPE THE PARTY'S OVER FOR ME AND ON TO SOMETHING I REALLY LIKE, TYING EXPERIMENTALS FOR FUN!  I have one guy to tie for besides my self and family and resides in North Carolina! Got my own stuff to do and his and family. That's about it except for a few friends on here , BASICALLY ANYONE ON HERE WHO NEEDS SOMETHING. 

I TOOK THE WONDERMENT AND FUN out of my hobby and turned it into a job.Big mistake that anyone can make if you need a buck or just like the thrills of someone coming to you and saying I didn't believe what you told me Tooty till I saw it . THAT WAS THE MOST REWARDING PART OF TYING FOR ME . 

RICK YOU ARE RIGHT in your assumption that I have enough materials now to take me to the end. You can have all the supplies I told you about today . 

NOW IT'S TIME TO REALLY GET SERIOUS ABOUT CATCHING FISH AND MEETING SOME PEOPLE ON HERE I ADMIRE...........................
    OH ALMOST FORGOT THERE WAS no cell phones or internet when I started tying, I'T' BEEN A WHILE!

David, Dave Whitlock is still alive and well this is a picture of him at the Christmas party a couple of weeks ago!!!!!

He and the fellow standing next to started the fly fishing club in Oklahoma in 1968!!!!! He pushes his art work these days but still manages to fish a little!!!!! He now lives in S.E. OKLAHOMA!!!! Thought you would like to know HE IS ALIVE AND KICKING!!!!!!!

GREG HOPPER ,

THANKS VERY MUCH FOR THE PIC and he always struck me as a true Gentleman on his video's I used to enjoy watching years ago. Never knew were he was from and you are lucky to be able to have seen him in person buddy!!!!!!!! Young folks on here have never heard of him I'm sure , or GADDABOUT GADDIS , for that matter . I believe Mr' Gaddis is alive and kicking still also. 

THANKS TOOTY

thanks greg,dave is the one who got me into tying as i  chose one of his books at random when looking for a place to start.read every thing i could find by him.this was as tooty said way pre internet,i became a flyfisherman and tyer not cause i had some yearning to flyfish,but because i could not catch those darn fish feeding on bugs off the surface.they were big spooky gills in strip mines that the regular methods just would not work.no fly tying clubs or anything near me so i bought some books and taught myself.met dave or rather shook his hand a couple times at shows but i feel like i know him.

YOU GUYS ARE BOTH LUCKY TO HAVE MET A LEGEND LIKE DAVE Whitlock and I gotta get out of TROY GROVE MORE!!!!!!!!!!

THanks for the u-tube links. I am just getting into this and it is very interesting. I too turned a passion into a job once [ bow hunting] . I learned a big lesson there. Havnt bow hunted for 10 plus years due to burn out. Won't make that mistake again. Again thanks for the links. 

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
14 hours ago
John Sheehan posted photos
17 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's status
"An Instrumental Guitar recording of mine to commemorate. …"
Sunday
John Sheehan posted a status
"Trout Season opens April 6th in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for stocking."
Sunday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Plastic Worm varieties in the group Lure History
"My favorites through the Years: Manns Jelly Worm, Manns Auger tail, Charlie Brewers 4" on a…"
Sunday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Plastic Worm varieties in the group Lure History
Sunday
Sunday
Troy Dorman commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

"Thank you, Jeffrey!"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service