Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

What are you using and satisfied  with  ,MONO, FLURO , COPOLYMER ,BRAID ?

On jigging Combos,I've only used  Mono's and Fluro's ; Eagle Claw Lazer ice Line mono 6# , Trilene Cold Weather #4 ,Trilene Fluro ICE 3# ,and Trilene Micro Ice 8#.

On Tip ups I've  used 30# braided nylon and attached a barrel swivel to a regular mono leader  in 8 and 6 # test but have gotten away from it and intend only using Low stretch  Mono ,Fluro ,Copolymer or braided line .Not sure what I'll end up with this year but here's a start :

Eagle Claw Lazer ice Line mono 6#-Claims are : Superior knot strength, low diameter ,low stretch ,high tensile strength.,abrasion resistant. Using for Medium Heavy jigging Rods with larger Jigs and spoons 1/16-1/4 oz .Tip ups with shiners.2017

Trilene Cold Weather #4-Claims are ;tough low memory . Using for deadsticking and small bait jigging rod .1st ice 2017 one Pickerel bite off .

Trilene 100% Flurocarbon Ice 3# -Claims are ; invisibility,superior sensitivity,low stretch with  extra thin diameter.   Using Hand held Flat Line combo for Bluegills and other panfish , fishing tiny jigs and baits.

Trilene  Micro Ice 8#-Mono that claims thin diameter toughness with low stretch sensitivity . Using  for tip up leaders fishing  live Shiners .Heavier jigging Rods with larger Jigs and spoons 1/4 oz and heavier . 1st time on ice this line help up well on 5 pickerel and 2 Crappie . However the coiling is excessive on a spinning reel .Has decent sensitivity though on a 1/4 oz spoon.

Views: 202

Replies to This Discussion

I've been using Trilene Cold Weather #2 for pan fish and I really like it.

I've used that 2# also , it is good .Have a tough time with 2# test in the wind on the ice without a shelter .The line blows around like mad and gets caught in the ice around the hole.Once  when the hole froze up a little I broke off a fish when checking my deadstick rod .Granted my carelessness is more the problem there,but I've since decided not to use 2# test .Maybe I'll go back to it on my hand held but not on a deadsticked rod that 's been attacked and sawed away on the hole edge before I notice it or get over to it . I have a tendency to put out three tip ups and work one  jigging rod while watching a deadsticked rod at the same time that may be a distance away .If I leave the tipups at home I use three Jigging rods(a hand held and 2 deadsticked) and switch between the UL's and heavier rods,using maybe 5 different set ups three at a time .

I like Asso for my cold water (ice) line. 2lb test.

Some of those ASSO spools are INEXPENSIVE !Which one do you use ? http://www.yourbobbersdown.com/category-s/169.htm

I usually use the Asso ice  line, top row second from left. However this year, I waited too long and had to go with something else. I'm trying Sufix Ice magic, and hoping for the best.

Ahh, I like blue color in thin diameter too.I use the #4Cold weather trilene good visibility with the white background of snow. when watching line movement.

In ice fishing I feel the smaller compact jigs with small tippings like wax worms and segments of GULP waxies consistently catch the quality and quantity of fish for me. To get those baits down in the zone the most sensitive, lightest and thinnest lines work the best. I had problems with 2 lost trophy fish on 2# mono and 2# floro fishing lines of line breakage and vowed not to use them again for ice fishing. I settled on 3#, 4# and 5# ice braid on the remainder of the seasons. The ice braid is coated to help shed water as to not freeze on the spool. I like the suffix 832 and the Power pro. It is extremely thin and sensitive.

After reviewing the GLISS in 8# and 12# strengths in open water I will be trying it this hard water season. It is extremely thin, sensitive, supple and smooth. Can’t wait.

I don't see any issues with breakage on 2 lb test, but then again I'm targeting lepomis. I always use new line every season, and I'm careful to play the fish. I've managed some accidental catches of big bass and channel cats on the 2 lb, but I know guys who use 1 lb, or even sewing thread when the gill bite gets tough.....don't think I'll be trying that!

SUFFIX 832 BRAID WITH ANTI LINE FREEZING QUALITY ,SOUNDS GOOD !

Do they sell those ASSO ice line in 2#?

Apparently they make it but this site might be out of stock in 2# right now   http://www.yourbobbersdown.com/category-s/169

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
4 hours ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
4 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
5 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
5 hours ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
5 hours ago
5 hours ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
yesterday
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service