Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Just wanted to add a quick bit about the chance of getting a super largemouth while fishing for other species. We troll for stripers at Marylands Piney Run and Liberty lakes a few times a year and every season we end up with a couple of trophy largemouths as a 'by-catch'. Nothin' fancy, just slow trolling with large shiners lip-hooked on 5/0 Trokar hooks with 20 lb braid or 20 lb mono as the mainline and 1/8 to 3/4 oz bullet weights added as needed. Planer boards help to spread the lines out and cover a larger area. 1 to 1.5 mph and look for the same thermal bank scenario that I mentioned before. Here's a great fish that my bud Brandon put me on this past Thursday...

Had this fish been caught in Lake Fork in Texas, it would have been labled an 'over'...a 'legal' fish of 24 inches or greater, as she was right at the 24 inch mark. Huge head but trim body, she had the potential to go ten pounds or more. Almost a year ago to the day, I got a shorter, but heavier bass on the slow troll at Piney Run...

This one also took a large shiner on a planer board. Every once in a while, you get the target specie...this nice 34 inch striper that was released...

My buddy Brandon is a 'big fish' expert who has a knack for monsters with laid back, bluecollar efforts and equipment. He favors large live bait options and covering prime areas. His best freshwater striper came from Liberty last June at 36 lbs. 4 oz. and 45.5 inches long. Here he is chillaxin'...

We've been friends for years and I am grateful that he let's me tag along on some of his trips. A young buck at 27, he boated 33 stripers last year in excess of 30 inches, with numerous monster largemouths and smallmouths to boot. Good friend to have! He releases almost all his fish.

The slow troll might be the giant ticket at a lake near you!

Views: 1507

Replies to This Discussion

wow nice fish, and some great pics <((((/p>

I often troll a minnowbait from my kayak, especially if I'm paddling a good distance from the launch to my fishing area.  I've caught some nice White Bass, LMBs, Spotted Bass, but no Stripers, yet.  I might have to try trolling a live baitfish.

fantastic LUNKERS ,Jim! First 5 lb class Largemouth I ever caught was on a slow trolled live shiner. Or perhaps it was a herring .

Yes I like to do that too with flies works good

RSS

Latest Activity

richard lytle posted a status
"whats been going on? Ive been gone a long time well be going gill and crappie fishing for the first time in a long time over a year"
11 hours ago
Joe Hinton posted photos
13 hours ago
Mikey-D commented on John Sheehan's status
"Kool they are a lot of fun keep tearin them up."
17 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's status
"Past two times out they were hammer handles. Maybe 22" was the biggest . We've gotten…"
18 hours ago
Mikey-D commented on John Sheehan's status
"How big were they John?"
20 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's status
"Only six Pickerel between me and a buddy yesterday .Live bait got 4 of the 6 ."
yesterday
John Sheehan posted a status
"Surface Water Temp down to 43.8 degrees from 52.7-52.9 two weeks ago ."
yesterday
Mikey-D commented on Mikey-D's photo
Thumbnail

20171027_082102

"Pretty fun Leo not as much fight this time of the year water is coolin off quick but it was fun on…"
Tuesday
Leo Nguyen left a comment for Gary C Griffin
"Thanks for the eyes and ears in the site. Issues resolved."
Tuesday
Leo Nguyen left a comment for John Funk
"John, thank you for the report. We'll take care of the issues."
Tuesday
dick tabbert commented on Mikey-D's photo
Thumbnail

20171027_082102

"Man I love catchin toothys."
Monday
dick tabbert left a comment for Mikey-D
"Sorry Mikey been off the site for awhile. Welcome aboard my friend."
Monday
Leo Nguyen commented on Mikey-D's photo
Thumbnail

20171027_082102

"Very nice! How was the fight on that beauty?"
Monday
Lester Rhoads left a comment for dick tabbert
"Hello Dick, Thank you very much for the warm welcome!  Are you an Admin here?  If not,…"
Monday
Mikey-D posted a status
"went crappie fishing yesterday but these is what I caught"
Monday
Mikey-D posted photos
Monday
Mark Sleeper left a comment for Mikey-D
"nice fish Kudos"
Nov 15
Mikey-D left a comment for Bruce Condello
"Gees Bruce those are some of the biggest gills I have seen I wouldn't tell anyone where that…"
Nov 15
Julie Schroeder left a comment for Mikey-D
"Sounds great! Thanks!"
Nov 15
Mikey-D left a comment for Julie Schroeder
"Thanx for the friend add it is a pleasure to have you on my friends list and to be on yours if you…"
Nov 15

© 2019   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service