Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Tomorrow, for the first time ever, I am participating in a Bass Tournament.

It's a "just for fun" tourney amongst some friends on my local fishing forum.  There is a Big-Bass pot, but it won't be to terribly big.  It's at a lake I've never been to.  This lake is fairly small, and the water is known for being the color and clarity of chocolate milk.  This is going to be interesting.  Not to mention the fact that I rarely actually target LMBs, although I do catch them fairly frequently.

What's really interesting, is that this is shaping up to be more of a kayaker vs. powerboat tourney.  And yes, I'll be in my kayak!

Views: 463

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good lick then, Allen.
I know you'll give it your all.

Allen just go out and have fun what will be will be.

That's what I'm planning on doing.  I've been talking to another kayaker that will be there as well; and we both have basically the same gameplan.  I just looked at a satellite image of the lake, and there is a LOT of standing timber within a mile of the ramp, and the dam isn't that far away either.  On a good note, both of those are to the south of the ramp, and the wind is supposed to be out of the south, so hopefully, Mother Nature will help me get back to the ramp.

Love it!

Allen if the lake is a muddy as you say I would think Big and noisy with the key word being on noise.

That's what I was thinking as well!!!!

Also high vibrating baits.

now this is sportsmanship!!  a kayak versus a powerboat!!     the powerboat guys don't stand a chance against you allen!!!

Good luck Allen.  Quieter should win the day.  I like to watch knot right kayak fishing on tv.  He always does pretty well with the bass.  You can go in the thick weeds and hit the holes for bass and the boats can't. I have confidence you and your kayak will prevail.

dilly

GOod look! Beat them.

OK, well, here's the results.

I got there @ 0500.  I was the second person to arrive.  It was still dark out, so I couldn't see the water color/clarity.  Once it was Safe Light, we took off.  There were two bass boats and two kayaks to start with.  Later, another bass boat and a 2-man Buster Boat would join in.

The water wasn't as muddy as I was expecting.  In fact, it was about what I consider to be "normal" for OK.  It was also really warm, 84 degrees.  This is a shallow lake!!!  Standing timber all over the place.

I started out trolling a big minnowbait in Firetiger.  I didn't go far, and found a weedline that ran parallel to the wind direction.  I set up for a drift down the face of the weedline.  Reeled in my trolling rod and grabbed my other rod, pre-rigged with a Pop-R in black.  I slowly drifted down the weedline, with no luck.  I did see a fish hit something on the surface, but I never got my lure back in there.

I ended up paddling around that point and seeing what was on the other side.  More standing timber!  I tried paddling through that, and casting here and there, with no luck.  Then I saw another weedline on the next bank over, as well as a rip-rap point.  I paddled over there and started working my way back.  I also changed up from the Pop-R to a Jitterbug, also in black.  A little heavier, better distance, and I don't have to pop it, giving my sore elbow a break.

Sure enough, I get back to a corner, and this poked its head out of the water and slurped my Jitterbug:

I kept drifting and paddling around, with no luck.  I did another trolling run, down the face of the dam, headed to the south shore, to stay out of the wind.  I paddled around there, with no luck.

Here's a good reason why the water is normally like chocolate milk:

Typical Okie red clay/sand.  The middle part of the state is like this everywhere.

I kept paddling around, trying to find another hungry fish.  I had a LMB try to jump out of the water to inhale my bait, but it missed!

About this time, I was ready to head in.  I was noticing some darker clouds to the southwest, and with the weather forecast, took that as my cue to head back to the ramp.  I had to paddle about half a mile northeast, so that I was directly upwind of the launch.  Then, I just turned with the wind, and "sailed" back to the ramp, using my paddle basically just to steer.

After about an hour, everyone showed up, because of the impending weather.  Since there were kayaks involved, the gent that put the tourney on decided to follow KBF tourney rules.  We went by length, not weight, take a pic, and add the lengths together.

I only caught the one, so out of all the teams, I didn't even place.  However, I did get the Big Fish pot!

The bit about kayaks sneaking up on fish is spot-on!  My first inhaled my lure just 10 feet from the boat!  I never really "reeled" it in, just played it a bit, then lifted the rod to bring it in close, and use the fish grips to secure the fish.  I also spent quite a bit of time in the standing timber, where the powerboats don't really want to be.  I know this, because I got hung up on limbs probably 6 times.  A bigger boat wouldn't have even made it in there.

SOUNDS like a GOOD TIME!!!!! KIND of LOOKS ALOT LIKE SOONER LAKE!!!!!!!

CONGRATS on the BIG BASS POT!!!!!

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
17 hours ago
John Sheehan posted photos
20 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's status
"An Instrumental Guitar recording of mine to commemorate. …"
Sunday
John Sheehan posted a status
"Trout Season opens April 6th in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for stocking."
Sunday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Plastic Worm varieties in the group Lure History
"My favorites through the Years: Manns Jelly Worm, Manns Auger tail, Charlie Brewers 4" on a…"
Sunday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Plastic Worm varieties in the group Lure History
Sunday
Sunday
Troy Dorman commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

"Thank you, Jeffrey!"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service