Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Well, after coming here, and getting myself all worked up over big Sunny's, I finally found a few today :-)

Ended up catching 11 Red Ears for probably 15 lbs total. The biggest two were a 13 inch, 1.70 lb'er, and a 13 3/4 inch, 1.90 lb'er :-) And geeez ! I had almost forgotten how hard these things fight ! I mean, sure, I was using my micro-light.... but I wasn't purposely babying them either. I fought them the same way I'd fight a good bass, or catfish, on the same gear, and still, they took a little bit to bring into the boat. I swear that 1.90 ripped 30ft of drag :-)

Anyway, here's some pics....
I think this was a 12 1/2", 1.5 lb'er.

13", 1.7 lb'er

13 3/4", 1.90 lb'er

Note the kitty in the livewell :-) Caught 4 of those too, to 7 lbs. Just kept that one around for company, but ended up letting it go anyway. Didn't feel like cleaning fish tonight.

Oh, this was a 4.9 lb Smallmouth from last week. Same lake.

And this was my underwater "money shot" from today :-) The fish in the front is a 5+ Largemouth which I had already hooked on a crawler, and was fighting (10 lb fluorocarbon leader... can't see it at all) but I really like how this fishes buddy is looking at it like, "What the heck are you freaking out about" ? :-) Caught 3 Largemouth's today too. This was the biggest one.

Anyway, fun trip :-) Different lake tomorrow. Not so great a chance for big Sunnies.... but Clear Lk. Weds ! Hopefully I'll smoke the "true" Bluegills and hybrids there.

Peace,
Fish

Views: 358

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Fish, those are some Slab Daddy Crackers you got there!!!! Some real Hawgs!!! And a Beautiful Smallie and Largemouth to boot!!!! Congrats on a terrific catch!!!!! Way to go!!!!!
Awesome pictures! What a monster redear, way to go!
WOW! Monster redears! Very nice indeed. Those are some awesome pictures!!!!!!!
Great redears. Great photos. And even a really nice picture of a bluegill management device as well! :-)
Just a fabulous catch! Good for you!
Wow! Awesome fish and I really loved the photos. Especially the underwater one.

Great job.
Jay
Much thanks guys :-)

Well, I'm going to do the Clear Lk. trip tomorrow. So I'm really hoping that those big ol' Bull Gills, and big beautiful hybrid Sunny's are up and biting :-)

Some clear water (don't let the name of that lake fool you :-( would be nice to.... not only to help find them.... but for some underwater bedding Sunfish shots too :-)
I should have taken some underwater shots of those big Red Ears yesterday "before" I went and stuck them all.... But you can't blame me for getting excited, and then getting ahead of myself, when I found them, can you ? :-)

Will post the results,
Peace,
Fish
Whoa...
Hey Chris...you need some soup, cos you sure got the crackers!

Hey, what did you catch them on? Looks like a worm rig with a split-shot and small hook. At a local lake where I have been catching crackers there is a no-live-bait reg so I went with Gulp! Earthworms as a pretty good substitute. Again..great catch!
Hey Jim, yea, mini-crawlers. Thank God they allow worms, because as I've said, I can't hardly catch a sunny on anything else ! :-) ....but I'm going to have to give those spoons a try.

Peace,
Fish
Awesome pics, thanks for sharing.
Those are some hawg daddy shellcrackers, certainly three trophy fish in my book. My dad caught an 11 1/4 inch cracker yesterday that weighed exactly one pound, I thought it would've weighed more but it was a brute.

I live in Southern Indiana and the biggest I've personally caught is around 12 1/2 inches long, to bad it was twenty years ago when I was kid. That farm pond routinely yielded 12+ inch crackers too.

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
13 hours ago
John Sheehan posted photos
16 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's status
"An Instrumental Guitar recording of mine to commemorate. …"
Sunday
John Sheehan posted a status
"Trout Season opens April 6th in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for stocking."
Sunday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Plastic Worm varieties in the group Lure History
"My favorites through the Years: Manns Jelly Worm, Manns Auger tail, Charlie Brewers 4" on a…"
Sunday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Plastic Worm varieties in the group Lure History
Sunday
Sunday
Troy Dorman commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

"Thank you, Jeffrey!"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service