Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

What is the best Bluegill lake in the U.S.??????????????????

I would like to see some comments on what members think are some of the best lakes for BIG blugill lakes. By big I mean consistantly one pounders and the possibilty of two over three. I want to plan a trip anywhere in the U.S for a couple weeks of monster bluegills or red ear. Is santee cooper on the list? Any info would be highly appreciated.

Views: 15419

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I will hedge my bet and say that the best bluegill lake is within 100 miles of the Gulf of Mexico, in a swamp thats so big and remote that nature is in charge, there will be lots of predators, snakes, turtles, gators, and birds. I got to fish in a place like this in my younger years and every bluegill caught weighed over a pound. If I have to zero in any closer I would have to say somewhere in the Atchafaya basin in Louisiana.
Hey there Lord,
I really want to thank you for the reply, but I don't want to do battle with gators and snakes just to catch a big blugill. I was thinking about a nice quite lake down south somwhere that the panfish or brim grow to enormous size. I've heard that santee cooper resovour has put out some panfish over four pounds, and also some lakes in Mississippi and Alabama.
Thanks again for the info.

Jerry
Most nice quiet lakes down south are full of snakes and gators, unless someone is illegally killing them. Unless you are a float tuber, don't worry about 'em. Hmm! Kayakers might be a little too close to the gators for comfort too. You better head for the In-Fisherman article lake. Nice fat ones there. Probably got their snakes and gators too full to notice you too!

Bama Boogieman
We picked up over 300 this weekend and most of em averaged that 3/4lb mark. We had several big gills you couldnt get your hands around over a lb and now my shirts all stinky and slimy. Mobile delta has a huge number of gills but unless your fishing with somebody that knows the ins outs and wherabouts you better stick to fishing in the big buckets. I agree with the rest of em. In fisherman mag. DONT FORGET THE CRICKETS!

Mayo

Im gonna have to agree with u on that one!! south louisiana has some awesome bluegill fishin like if u have a kayak u can paddle around or in a pirouge. has anybody ever heard of the tickfaw river thats a great place too!!

Get a hold of the In-Fisherman, Monster Fish 2009 Special Report. There is an article titled "Target 2 pound Bluegills" that answers you question.

That article is what led me to this forum.
Amen to the Atchafalaya Basin. Fished there many times in the late 70's and early 80's. Places like Warner's Lake , Lost Lake and others.
At one time Toledo Bend produced large numbers of very big fish.
Purtis Lake in East texas is managed by the Texas Wildlife and fisheries for
large bluegills
Just pure opinion here...

Public: Lake Perris SRA, California
Private: Richmond Mill Lake, North Carolina
Santee is good. Richmond Mill is great. Edisto River in South Carolina (around Jacksonboro). And don't forget about the Satilla River in Waycross, Georgia.
Pelican Lake in northern MN....."Home of the Giant Bluegill"....Not sure if is "thee best" but sure has been known to be a great bluegill lake in general for many many years......Apparently the folks in Orr, MN. think so to...lol!

Yes Bruce! Lake Perris in Southern California is the spot for me. I was just there a couple of days ago. Two of us fished off of the private boat docks and caught 7 Coppernose around the 1 lb mark. We caught lots of smaller guys too during our short time there. It's even better from a boat.

Yes Orr is a Great Place!!

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
15 hours ago
John Sheehan posted photos
18 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's status
"An Instrumental Guitar recording of mine to commemorate. …"
Sunday
John Sheehan posted a status
"Trout Season opens April 6th in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for stocking."
Sunday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Plastic Worm varieties in the group Lure History
"My favorites through the Years: Manns Jelly Worm, Manns Auger tail, Charlie Brewers 4" on a…"
Sunday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Plastic Worm varieties in the group Lure History
Sunday
Sunday
Troy Dorman commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

"Thank you, Jeffrey!"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service