Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Warning: don't get yourself scammed with cashier checks

Just a head up everyone. Looks like scams and fraudulent activities are on the rise once again. This time, people promise to use cashier check, with excess amount in order to provide to the "movers" on top of your cost for the item/service. Take from my experience and build up your offensive and defensive plans.

Summary:
I was selling a few old equipment exceeding $100.

First red flag: People requested if I accepted cashier check. There are many more safer methods to purchase equipment. But I let it played out.

Second red flag: Buyers literally indicated there were "movers". Movers are code name for money laundering assistants. The buyers also indicated the checks should be deposited in the ATM (not the tellers which you ALWAYS want to do), and provide the receipt of deposit (NEVER!!! Your account info is on there!)

Third red flag: 12 days later, I receive a check issued from a bank, overseeing a health benefit company. In the past, I get checks issued to me from companies as well, aside from individuals and real bank's/post office cashier checks.

Fourth red flag: check is a color printer type check, without watermark. Real checks have watermarks, no matter how realistic the checks appear at first, inclusive of the easy-tear marks (the little dots along the edges).

Fifth red flag: Communication phone area code does not match up with the sender's address, and postal office stamp.

Always investigate before cashing any check, either for the same value of your item/service, or in excessive amount.

a. I contacted the company the moment the company opened.

b. I request the information on check issuance. Investigation team indicate the company's bank account was hacked into, and hackers used the bank account to fraudulently issued checks. Checks will cash, BUT, when the investigation comes around, the money will be demanded back. Since you cashed it, you are responsible to pay back the full amount. In the meantime, you handed over the remaining sum to the "movers" and your equipment/perform your service. You lost not only lost the cost of your equipment, but you also shell out the check's sum you've cashed out.

Play smart. Be safe. It's just my wisdom to provide to you.

Views: 129

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Leo for the heads up. I've been hearing about this. 

MANY THANKS FOR THE -- HEADS UP WARNING !!  JUST WISH THERE WAS SOME WAY TO GET RID OF THESE DANG;; ROBO CALLING TELEMARKERTERS !!

I do have a way in getting rid of them. Not pleasant, funny as hell, but it can be taxing on your battery and total minutes. Robo-caller vs robo-answering unit.

ONES IM REFERRING TO ;; KEEP CALLING MY HOUSE PHONE;;; USING NAMES SUCH AS;; LOWES DEPT;;;;  VANDERBILT UNIVERSITY;; EVEN USING SOME; HOME HEALTH CARE;; WHEN I ANSWWER;; ITS-------  HI IM HEATHER;; OR RACHEL;; CALLING ABOUT YOUR CREDIT HISTORY !!!!!!  SOOOO;; I FORTUNATLY TELL THEM------  HOW MUCH I APPRECIATE ( ?? ) THEIR CONCERN  THEN;; POLITLY HANG UP

The past couple of years, I've been getting calls from the area and local prefix that my cell phone has.  Heck, I once got a call, on my cell phone, *from* my cell phone!

My basic phone call answering strategy is this:  If you're not on my cell phone's list, I won't pick up.  If it's a legit call, leave a message, I will get back to you.

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
15 hours ago
John Sheehan posted photos
18 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's status
"An Instrumental Guitar recording of mine to commemorate. …"
Sunday
John Sheehan posted a status
"Trout Season opens April 6th in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for stocking."
Sunday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Plastic Worm varieties in the group Lure History
"My favorites through the Years: Manns Jelly Worm, Manns Auger tail, Charlie Brewers 4" on a…"
Sunday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Plastic Worm varieties in the group Lure History
Sunday
Sunday
Troy Dorman commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

"Thank you, Jeffrey!"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service