Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Just purchased a Fountainhead Tenkara Caddis pole and need help. I researched warm water Tenkara and found most information on the web  is about trout.

Just wondering if anyone has information for bluegill fishing with Tenkara. Line types, flies, etc.

Thanks

Views: 7492

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is a pretty good video of a guy tenkara bluegill fishing from a float tube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zhXQ9_daeE

I thought it was interesting that he ran a long length of lead line up to 17 feet on a 12 foot rod.

Dave

The web research I did suggested that the Tenkara line goes the length of the pole and then to add trippet 3-4 feet. The fly is cast and the line is hand worked and the fished netted. I did like the jig idea since I was looking at the 1/100 jigs for the BNM pole. Don't see why I could not cast them on a Tenkara pole. Between this and the telescopic pole , can't wait for spring

For your Tekara pole method,  you might want to invest in a small amount of nymph split weights. Very very small weights (purchase the tin and not lead), and it'll be perfect inline weights for your line for casting, jigging, and better yet, bobbing.

Thank you for the youtube link. I think it's going to be a blast this spring

I've been Tenkara fishing for 2 years for panfish and trout. 

Just call me with question.

Between 10am-8pm.  309-287-1425

Tim Baer

One thing I got to wondering last night as I pondered the tenkara bluegill video is about the retrieve: with a conventional fly rod, I strip retrieve and if there is a hit (and I don't miss it lol) there's not a lot of slack in the line and the hook-set is pretty easy. With a tenkara rod, there's no stripping so in stillwater the "retrieve" would have to be done with twitches of the rod tip over a relatively short distance, with each twitch introducing slack as the flies comes closer. Does this slack make it difficult to set the hook?

I occasionally fished with something like tenkara when I lived in Japan, but only in rivers, so there was no issue of retrieve.

I think you just lift the pole straight up and hand line

Tim

Thanks, I'm sure I will be taking you up on the offer once I get ready for spring

getting ready to order tenkara BADGER CLASSIC ROD looking to tie tenkara bluegill flies and also some bass patterns Down here in Florida there are a lot of bass ponds.Should be fun on Tenkara outfit.

Hugh

Have fun. I've fished Tenkara for the last three seasons and I'm still amazed at the connection between myself and the fish. I've caught hundreds of bluegill but only a hand full of small bass.

I've also down sized myself to small pole  fixed line fishing. The name is micro fishing. I use a 6-7 foot japanese rod, 1 or 2 lb test and hooks sized between 20 -32. I also use ice fishing micro plastics as bait. 

Have fun and experience Tenkara in your own way.

JDA

Realize you have been fishing with Tenkara rods for over 3 years so this may be not new info to you. I've found a wealth of info on the following site about fishing for warm water species, http://www.tenkarabum.com/keiryu-fishing.html

The type of fishing is called Keiryu instead of Tenkara. Very similar yet still different. With Keiryu rods they can be used just like pole fishing with jig and float or hook, bait and float. The beauty about them is the compact telescoping pole that almost fits in your back pocket so to speak! They even make several version that can be fished at 3 different lengths.

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
17 hours ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
17 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
17 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
17 hours ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
17 hours ago
17 hours ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
yesterday
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
Tuesday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
Tuesday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service